Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWayland 22.1 Released With DRM Lease Support, Other Improvements

Phoronix: XWayland 22.1 Released With DRM Lease Support, Other Improvements

XWayland 22.1 is out today as the newest standalone feature release for this XWayland code issued separately from the X.Org Server. XWayland continues in very robust shape for allowing X11 clients whether it be games or applications to run atop capable Wayland compositors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hello there !
    It is maybe a dumb question here but I am wondering if XWayland can help somehow any application for remote-control like TeamViewer to work on wayland (not just to view the remote screen but to help taking control of it) ? Or maybe I should take a look to another wayland middleware ?

Comment

Originally posted by AureChan View Post
      Hello there !
      It is maybe a dumb question here but I am wondering if XWayland can help somehow any application for remote-control like TeamViewer to work on wayland (not just to view the remote screen but to help taking control of it) ? Or maybe I should take a look to another wayland middleware ?
      You would probably be better off finding another application that works with Wayland. XWayland is a workaround way to get xorg applications to run in a Wayland environment. Your xorg application would not be able to see or control anything other than its own window. That's one of the reasons Wayland is more secure than Xorg. Applications can't interact with other applications in your screen-space.

Comment

Originally posted by AureChan View Post
        Hello there !
        You mean Remote Desktop stuff? Nah, XWayland can't help with that because it's just an Xserver running as a Wayland client and Wayland doesn't give clients access to global mouse coordinates. You'd need to use something that supports xdg-desktop-portal's remote desktop portal. Gnome's Connections app should work but I've never used it myself.

Comment

Weird question but... is it possible to run a fullscreen rootless Xwayland under a wayland session, and if so... does it make sense for everyone to switch to Wayland and for distros & users that want 'legacy X11' to actually just run the entire Window Manager under Xwayland?

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
            Weird question but... is it possible to run a fullscreen rootless Xwayland under a wayland session, and if so... does it make sense for everyone to switch to Wayland and for distros & users that want 'legacy X11' to actually just run the entire Window Manager under Xwayland?
            What do you mean by "rootless"? In the context of X11 it can mean two things:
            A: the display server doesn't manage the desktop (=no root window); or
            B: the display server runs unprivileged (not as root)

Xwayland is inherently rootless in the sense of A (I could be wrong though) and I don't think it's possible for it to run a WM. What might be possible though is then to run something like Xnest over Xwayland and basically make its window fill the entire screen, and run your WM within that.

But.. what exactly are you trying to achieve?
            Last edited by jacob; 17 February 2022, 04:20 AM.

Comment

That's basically what you get already when you use the modesetting DDX driver on Xorg.
              Going further and replacing the stand alone X server with Xwayland is probably possible, but would require a lot of work to make things like RandR work (multi montor, resolution, refresh rate, etc.), or routing that information through if the compositor is handling that.
              However, I don't think anyone is going to or should bother because it will just give you the downsides of both without the upside of either. On Xorg you can opt to use device specific drivers, which allow for vendor specific quirks to be used, like the 2D hardware on Intel, or async buffer flipping or whatever. TearFree is also not available, but gives you those perfect frames if you want them, even across monitors with different refresh rates. On XWayland you have forced vsync and only GLAMOR for 2D acceleration.
              Last edited by binarybanana; 17 February 2022, 12:12 PM.

Comment

If I recall correctly it is (or at least it was) possible on Weston. There was project called Xweston that would act like normal X11 server but running on top of Wayland compositor.

But question is why you would use Xwayland for running X11 desktops instead of X.Org Server? Xwayland is still X11 and it doesn't change how X11 protocol works so most X11 issues are still there. That wouldn't improve user experience very much compared to running regular X.Org Server and some things would still work differently or be more limited compared to X.Org Server (because Xwayland doesn't run on bare metal like X.Org Server and some things are still managed by Wayland compositor).

Comment

Working...
                X