• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

- distros packages: probably outdated
    - official repo: just for Ubuntu
    - Flatpak: up-to-date and usable for everyone

Flatpak sucks, right? /s
    This exactly. I've been using OBS via Flathub since sometime last year. The Arch community repo packages were missing plugins, and the AUR versions broke with dependencies half the time. In contrast, the Flatpak version has been mostly trouble free and full featured this whole time.

Comment

I am happy that it is now distributed on Flatpak!

Comment

Originally posted by ireri View Post
        Unless the sandbox gets in the way, which it often does, and we have Flatseal for that, but dude, that should not be an issue at all when the sandbox is precisely it's main feature.
        Sandbox getting in way is double sided as well. Some cases people will be playing around with a PPA installed application and make a core system modification so resulting in major screw ups. So sandbox getting in way is sometimes a problem and sometimes saved tail as well.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Sandbox getting in way is double sided as well. Some cases people will be playing around with a PPA installed application and make a core system modification so resulting in major screw ups. So sandbox getting in way is sometimes a problem and sometimes saved tail as well.
          Of course, the good old “some call it a bug, I prefer to call it a feature” argument. Never fails.

Comment

Originally posted by ireri View Post
            Of course, the good old “some call it a bug, I prefer to call it a feature” argument. Never fails.
            Yes this is really true when you start looking at different package management systems. One of the worst shock horrors with some PPA applications is you go and use X feature in the application and the application automatically goes and adds packages without telling the user so feature works. Yes bit like Linus Tech Tips installing steam on pop Os and now you have uninstalled core system this can happen with some PPA packages without user notification at all.

Yes the lack of sandbox killing the system also applies on MS Windows with applications altering system32 folder causing bad things. So there is a positive feature to the sandbox.

Comment

Working...
            X