OBS Studio 27.2 Released With Flatpak Support, Experimental AV1 Encoders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBS Studio 27.2 Released With Flatpak Support, Experimental AV1 Encoders

Phoronix: OBS Studio 27.2 Released With Flatpak Support, Experimental AV1 Encoders

OBS Studio as the wonderful, cross-platform open-source software for screen recording and screencasting purposes is out with a shiny new feature release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There are also many fixes and other general enhancements for this software that is especially popular with Windows and Linux game streamers.
    And some students in the know. I introduced it to a couple of classes spring and fall semesters last year where video presentations were required. No idea if anyone other than myself used it. But, I did at least plug it. Worked extremely well for my presentations.

now allows for Flatpak packaging
    Ugh. Nails on the chalkboard. Yeah I get there are people that love flatpak. I'm not one of them. I'm happy I can use their official PPA and just apt-get the current version (or just pick it from your distro's official repository).
    Last edited by stormcrow; 15 February 2022, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
      Ugh. Nails on the chalkboard. Yeah I get there are people that love flatpak. I'm not one of them. I'm happy I can use their official PPA and just apt-get the current version (or just pick it from your distro's official repository).
      Not everyone is like you. Some people end up with installing the PPA resulting in having packages conflicting with other items they are using. Flatpak for them is great as it avoid those problems.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
        - distros packages: probably outdated
        - official repo: just for Ubuntu
        - Flatpak: up-to-date and usable for everyone

Flatpak sucks, right? /s

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
          Flatpak sucks, right?
          Very much so.

Comment

I don't do any sort of streaming, but I use OBS for recording. Is it normal that vsync stops working while OBS is running? It doesn't even have to record. As soon as it's loaded, every game becomes a tearing fest.

Comment

Those who do stream should take note of this OBS announcement on twitter:-

🚨 Twitch Users 🚨 You MUST update to 27.2 before the end of February! After Feb 28th, you will no longer be able to connect your Twitch account in any previous version of OBS due to Twitch ending support for the old v5 API. Only OBS Studio 27.2 and later support the new API.
              Source:- https://twitter.com/OBSProject/statu...51348997398530

Comment

The reason Flatpak is great is just managing the application that is installed (AKA Flatseal as a GUI) in a sandbox.
                The reason why Flatpak is annoying is that it adds another package-maintainer. But centralize everything into a single maintainer (for your system) is a big task to ensure that nothing breaks (looking at you at various package-maintainers that could purge/remove necessary packages for your system to work). Not every distribution has the resources to do that, the concept of Flatpak helps distributions to improve their distributions while not focusing on the application side of things.

I like Flatpak for it's theoretically faster updates (and that if the original developers officially supports the Flatpak packaging, makes it easier for them to support the Linux platform itself). Nothing is perfect, but this feels more split work to various directions. The only problem I see is the end-user have to look in different directions for updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
                  The reason Flatpak is great is just managing the application that is installed (AKA Flatseal as a GUI) in a sandbox.
                  The reason why Flatpak is annoying is that it adds another package-maintainer. But centralize everything into a single maintainer (for your system) is a big task to ensure that nothing breaks (looking at you at various package-maintainers that could purge/remove necessary packages for your system to work). Not every distribution has the resources to do that, the concept of Flatpak helps distributions to improve their distributions while not focusing on the application side of things.

I like Flatpak for it's theoretically faster updates (and that if the original developers officially supports the Flatpak packaging, makes it easier for them to support the Linux platform itself). Nothing is perfect, but this feels more split work to various directions. The only problem I see is the end-user have to look in different directions for updates.
                  I like the idea of running discrete apps in the flatpak sandbox, and letting the distro handle apps that need root/system access for whatever reason. It just makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

- Flatpak: up-to-date and usable for everyone
                    Unless the sandbox gets in the way, which it often does, and we have Flatseal for that, but dude, that should not be an issue at all when the sandbox is precisely it's main feature.

Dependency hell is a nightmare alright, but sandbox hell isn't much better. I use programs from both plus snap and Appimage, all of them have pretty annoying disadvantages and suck in different aspects. ALL OF THEM!

So don't come here telling stories about how good is one option without mentioning its downsides, while uttering only the downsides of the alternatives. That's vile.

Also, I'm glad for OBS deciding on an official packaging method, I'm sure that this action is what will bring their users the most benefits.
                    Last edited by ireri; 15 February 2022, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X