Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Dynamic Triple Buffering Can 2x The Desktop Performance For Intel Graphics, Raspberry Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Mate's Marco window manager has also been excellent in the last few releases. They came up with a brilliant software accelerated Vsync solution, so my desktop doesn't have those fancy animations, but it's tear free and butter smooth. The only downside of this solution is that it doesn't work with Nvidia because it relies on dri.
    haha.png
    amd kid is like this...

Comment

So it's not enough that GNOME is so slow that it drops frames in a simple 2D environment, now it wants to fix this by increasing power consumption even more and not fixing the actual problem

There's no limit for bullshitness, right?

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
        Window manager only club doesn't need GPU acceleration of their desktop. Seriously a good tiling WM like Xmonad or DWM or a good floating WM like Fluxbox is all most people need. At worst run XFCE4. We don't need no stinking GPUs to run a basic desktop Gnome!
        Right. I can't wait to see people working with Blender, Ardour or Inkscape using Fluxbox... </sarcasm>

Comment

Originally posted by fulalas View Post
          So it's not enough that GNOME is so slow that it drops frames in a simple 2D environment, now it wants to fix this by increasing power consumption even more and not fixing the actual problem
          That article of yours is full of bias, and either ignorance or dishonesty. Good job.

Comment

Vermilion, I will be glad to fix any error you find in the article.

Thanks

Comment

I personally love GPU accelerated desktops assuming it doesn't push so hard that my fans spin up. that would be not cool. but I don't see this being an issue.

Comment

For starters, this
                GNOME version 41 was used during the writing of this article
                While the article contains quotes from 17 years ago (Linus), when in fact he currently uses GNOME, old power benchmarks (Ubuntu 19.04), more old quotes about performance in 3.28 (Dedoimedo), Also failing to realize that "Other Locations" is not a folder so it doesn't have to act like one, Alt+F2 not needing auto-completion because it's a debugging tool not an app launcher, quick launch shortcuts are already available (Win+Number) just add apps to favorites ...

Honestly, I could go on for more but I don't want to put the effort or contribute more noise here since it's off-topic, and creating a medium account just to comment is overkill. In the meantime, you could redirect your readers to recent performance benchmarks about real workloads like gaming.
                Last edited by Vermilion; 13 February 2022, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Very detailed and absolutely thorough, that article is spot-on and seems to be written by someone with an actual critical mind. It´s a rare feat.

• Many tasks require more steps than other desktop environments
                  This bit is particularly true.
                  Gnome has a serious tendancy to get in the way. It wants so much to be simple, that whenever you need to do actual stuff in your workflow it ends up requiring more actions to carry out a task. Hence, it´s a huge fail at being simple.

It is hard to distinguish between foreground and background windows
                  Exactly. I´ve hit the wrong window so many times because of this. That´s why using Gnome without a minimize button or an apparent dock/launcher is inconvenient. Takes longer for the same action.

I´m not going to comment every bullet point that is made because it´s excellent and speaks for itself, but it seems to me as a fair assessment of the wasted potential of Gnome. There is so much to do with it, and yet they deliver so little. It´s really frustrating.
                  Last edited by Mez'; 13 February 2022, 07:36 PM.

Comment

The amount of armchair graphics developers in this thread is fascinating.

Comment

Thanks
                      Nothing to fix or defend. It´s mostly mere facts, with little bias.
                      Of course, it would unnerve some little fanboys, or the Red Hat Russian-like paid influencers, but don't let that get in your way as much as Gnome does.

Comment

Working...
                      X