GNOME Shell 42 Lands Redesigned OSD Notifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
    I find it rather amusing that the reason for the redesign was that the old OSD was too large , and quite honestly - I think these OSD notifications are large as well. While I usually yell about compacting GUI's as much as possible (within reason) I of course realize that OSD's should be large enough to catch your eye - however a disgusting color or frame around something smaller would be (IMHO) easier to catch , and less intrusive at the same time.
    I hear you. On my 55" 4K TV Windows 10 and KDE notifications are tiny blips that I barely notice. If they didn't have notification trays that store my notifications until I'm able to get to them, I'd never know what my PC is trying to notify me of.

This is one of the areas that I thought GNOME was superior, especially on a TV screen as a monitor. Big, large notifications that actually notify me. Large and small notification sizes needs to be a user configuration option. Heck, the 10 and KDE ones are small enough that I'd like larger notifications just for accessibility reasons.

Granted, I totally get smaller volume and desktop switching notifications. Those are User Activity Notifications, where the user does X and the system responds with a visual cue that X was done. System Activity Notifications, where the system does X and the system responds with a visual cue that something was done, should have an option to be unnecessarily large. I know I'm turning the volume up or down, I don't know that the System Updater just ran an update check. One of those needs to get my attention more and be easier to read at an unknown glance because I have no idea that it's coming whereas the other one I'm in control of and I only need a visual cue that things are getting done.

Comment

Resizing these is welcome but wasn't really necessary.

On the other hand, it is insane that you need an extension just to put the content notifications in a less intrusive position of your desktop (than upper center).
      What they must work on is either custom choice or about 8 positions for those notifications. It is much more essential than the size of fn-related OSDs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
        Resizing these is welcome but wasn't really necessary.

On the other hand, it is insane that you need an extension just to put the content notifications in a less intrusive position of your desktop (than upper center).
        What they must work on is either custom choice or about 8 positions for those notifications. It is much more essential than the size of fn-related OSDs.
        That's how KDE does it...well, 6 spots. My preferred spot is center at the bottom. I wish a 7th spot of "center of the screen" would be added? It's hard to miss center of the friggin screen

Size is just as essential. My screen is large enough that KDE and Windows notifications are unnecessarily small; using their default font sizes with 200% scaling (my preferred range on my screen). My only options would be to increase scaling sizes or increase font sizes. Both have the side effect of making other interfaces unnecessarily large.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That's how KDE does it...well, 6 spots. My preferred spot is center at the bottom. I wish a 7th spot of "center of the screen" would be added? It's hard to miss center of the friggin screen

Size is just as essential. My screen is large enough that KDE and Windows notifications are unnecessarily small; using their default font sizes with 200% scaling (my preferred range on my screen). My only options would be to increase scaling sizes or increase font sizes. Both have the side effect of making other interfaces unnecessarily large.
          That's the only place I didn't think of (seems like really workflow disruptive). Make it 9 then.
          Upper left Upper middle Upper right
          Center left Center middle Center Right
          Lower left Lower middle Lower right.

Or just make it custom such as the Panel OSD extension.
          I'm not talking about fn-related notifications as mentioned in this article, but about new emails, calendar events, music playing and such.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
            But you only need to discover it once and then you're stuck with the hints forever.
            If you work with different systems, there are plenty of different icons to learn, and they even change from time to time. There are no real standards nor is it always that intuitive, its just a matter of habit.

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
            Systems should be designed for the comfort of the daily user.
            And that is why there should always be an info text while keeping pure icons optional.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
              That's the only place I didn't think of (seems like really workflow disruptive). Make it 9 then.
              Upper left Upper middle Upper right
              Center left Center middle Center Right
              Lower left Lower middle Lower right.

Or just make it custom such as the Panel OSD extension.
              I'm not talking about fn-related notifications as mentioned in this article, but about new emails, calendar events, music playing and such.
              The emails and such are the ones that I want front and center in the most annoying way possible. Basically, things I'm in control of, the fn-related ones, I could care less if they're smaller. I just like the visual cue that I did X and Y happened. The one's I'm not in control of, new emails and system daemons, are the ones I'd like to be prominently annoying and big.

For me, size is an accessibility option. The less I'm aware that the notification is coming, the more aware I need to be made that the notification arrives.

Have you ever heard of the concepts of "Known Knowns", "Known Unknowns", "Unknown Knowns", and "Unknown Unknowns"?

KKs are like volume changing. You control it and know it is coming so the notification doesn't need to be a large.
              KUs are like songs changing. You know it's changing, but you might not know the next song. Stay small, but use high contrast colors for fonts and backgrounds.

UKs are like the system updater. You don't know when it'll happen, but you know it'll happen. Maybe make it larger, let it blink, bright colored border.
              UUs are like emails coming in. You don't know when they're coming, what they are, or who/what they're from. Needs the largest, most blinky, brightest of all notifications.

Obviously you'd want a way to set higher or lower priorities based on the action or program sending it. Steam and Epic sales notifications are technically UUs and you might not want the full-on BBB, big-bright-blink, annoying notification style. Someone with bad vision might want everything highest just because that's easier for them or to add audio cues to the three unknown levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Firnefex View Post
                If you work with different systems, there are plenty of different icons to learn, and they even change from time to time. There are no real standards nor is it always that intuitive, its just a matter of habit.

And that is why there should always be an info text while keeping pure icons optional.
                That so much. I really dislike having to learn hieroglyphics.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Which one of those thousand words is the command linked to that picture?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

The emails and such are the ones that I want front and center in the most annoying way possible. Basically, things I'm in control of, the fn-related ones, I could care less if they're smaller. I just like the visual cue that I did X and Y happened. The one's I'm not in control of, new emails and system daemons, are the ones I'd like to be prominently annoying and big.

For me, size is an accessibility option. The less I'm aware that the notification is coming, the more aware I need to be made that the notification arrives.

Have you ever heard of the concepts of "Known Knowns", "Known Unknowns", "Unknown Knowns", and "Unknown Unknowns"?

KKs are like volume changing. You control it and know it is coming so the notification doesn't need to be a large.
                  KUs are like songs changing. You know it's changing, but you might not know the next song. Stay small, but use high contrast colors for fonts and backgrounds.

UKs are like the system updater. You don't know when it'll happen, but you know it'll happen. Maybe make it larger, let it blink, bright colored border.
                  UUs are like emails coming in. You don't know when they're coming, what they are, or who/what they're from. Needs the largest, most blinky, brightest of all notifications.

Obviously you'd want a way to set higher or lower priorities based on the action or program sending it. Steam and Epic sales notifications are technically UUs and you might not want the full-on BBB, big-bright-blink, annoying notification style. Someone with bad vision might want everything highest just because that's easier for them or to add audio cues to the three unknown levels.
                  Well, that's an interesting concept.
                  But I don't want emails (UUs) to disrupt my workflow, I want to be notified for a few seconds in the upper right or lower right part of my desktop and the envelope to be colored in case of unread messages (and maybe a badge counter) in the top or left bar (as in Budgie or as in Windows). I'll treat them when I need to.
                  What our different takes demonstrate (and imagine millions of takes on the subject) is that there is a need for customization. Once again, Gnome devs decided what's best for their users and forced them while just our little discussion is proof that they're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                  X