Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell 42 Lands Redesigned OSD Notifications

Phoronix: GNOME Shell 42 Lands Redesigned OSD Notifications

GNOME Shell 42 has landed redesigned on-screen display (OSD) elements for notifications around volume, Bluetooth/WiFi status, workspace switching, and more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really like this change. The old OSD notifications really looked ridiculous on a high resolution display...

Comment

Anyone knows if there's still time for triple buffering support in GNOME 42? or should it wait for 43?
      Use triple buffering if and when the previous frame is running late. This means the next frame will be dispatched on time instead of also starting late. It...

Comment

They look suspiciously like Plasma's redesigned OSDs!

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post
          thought the same when I first saw them

Comment

So round...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow
              Hmmm, the last 3 seem good, but here are my complaints:
              1. How would I have guessed the first one meant "workspace indicator"? What if I arrange my workspaces vertically?
              2. While the icon means "touchpad disabled", I wish it had a text description as well for those who can't understand the icon.
              What about simply learning how to use your tool once and then you don't have to guess? When you design the system to be instantly usable by anyone, you often add inefficiencies for the user forever. For instance, in Ubuntu 21.10, around 25% of the full-screen window switching has been deactivated in order to make features it slightly more discoverable. But you only need to discover it once and then you're stuck with the hints forever. I think it's a bad idea.

Systems should be designed for the comfort of the daily user.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post
                Every gnome article is KDE circle jerk lol.

Tells alot abut this community.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

Every gnome article is KDE circle jerk lol.

Tells alot abut this community.
                  Well, I think it's good that a community can learn from another. It could also be convergent design.

Comment

I find it rather amusing that the reason for the redesign was that the old OSD was too large , and quite honestly - I think these OSD notifications are large as well. While I usually yell about compacting GUI's as much as possible (within reason) I of course realize that OSD's should be large enough to catch your eye - however a disgusting color or frame around something smaller would be (IMHO) easier to catch , and less intrusive at the same time.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Working...
                    X