Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Plasma DE things in need of improvements:

Excused some disinformation hear are the suggestions:

Dragon Player needs to play videos inside trash bin (totem can do it) making you able to check out files without need to restore them to original place from where they were deleted.

Dolphin needs a built-in feature to make it activates the quick filtering straight from typing ordinary character keys (aka letter keys) and an automatic select subfeature added to quick filtering, cause if you use pure keyboard to quick filter, you have to shift tab and tab tab and up to get the selection highlight out of quick filter bar and inside viewport, individually common letters keys are not bindable to keyboard shortcut keybinding globally as a shortcut, why not facilitate users lives and cut the extra steps or at least make an opt-in option available.

Dolphin needs a built-in feature to set a keyboard shortcut to create a new empty file text and optimally a built-in way to set keyboard shortcuts to create others filetypes too.

Another thing in need to be analysed by KDE developers is when an intensive dbus software (like Firefox) starts to rogue the responsiveness of whole DE affecting app switching, I'm not saying to suggest users to kill the offender app, I'm saying maybe something could be implemented to avoid an intensive dbus app from interfere and make the DE become slow.

I understand Activities purpose, however the filemanager widget is not usable as a full featured file manager and such a thing hinders its appeal, if I was able to use dolphin "as an widget" instead maybe, I would be very happy, cause it would give me an kind of "workspace" storation/restoration tied to file management or vice-versa, and that surely could increase my productivity.

Customazation of KDE Plasma panel (aka inferior panel/taskbar), why the user needs to download an style to change its color, me really thinks the built-in colorscheme editor KDE Plasma has should comprises the Desktop panel color.

Comment

Now that plasma wayland nears perfection I start to see my first mayor problem: input devices get killed for some time, seconds up to 5 minutes. I can't do anything, mouse doesn't move, no clicks, no keaybord keys... When it starts working again I do no get anything back what I typed - it's eaten, but occasionally I get spammed with random input, including backspace (which I didn't type)... But the display refreshes, The cursor in a text edit is blinking. The weird thing is that even the num/shiftlock lights of the keybord turn off. This isn't application related. But it makes plasma unusable - I lose about one hour of productivity per day - so that I think I will revert back to X11 (after 2 years of permanent wayland).

Anyone seeing that issue, too?

Another issue is that occasionally the plasma shell stops updating, it won't come back, applications work as always.

// edit:
      This might be solved. After the F***up with packman under OS Tumbleweed I thought all packman packages were removed. which they were not. And this has caused issues when I had youtube open in my browser. I realised this after testing different desktops/WMs. I now finally removed those packages and it seems everything is fine now. Fingers crossed!
      Last edited by schmalzler; 13 February 2022, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ⤐⤐⤐⤐ View Post
        KDE Plasma DE things in need of improvements:

Excused some disinformation hear are the suggestions:
        Looks like Birdie has a new account.

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post
          Regarding plasma wayland, why is there still an issue with the titlebar icons... i.e. why do some wayland applications display their correct icons, yet others display the wayland default?
          That's probably an application bug, here (https://nicolasfella.de/posts/fixing...taskbar-icons/) there's a blog post explain more about that

Comment

Originally posted by fhek789 View Post

That's probably an application bug, here (https://nicolasfella.de/posts/fixing...taskbar-icons/) there's a blog post explain more about that
            Thank you very much for posting this... I forwarded to upstream but after looking thinking it might not be the same issue. This refers to "taskbar" icons, and for the particular applications I'm having issues with, their taskbar icons are correct. It's their "titlebar" icons which are incorrect.
            Last edited by gbcox; 12 February 2022, 06:16 PM.

Comment

sixel graphics are nice, cannot wait to see 20fps with mpv LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Spike29 View Post
                The last Wayland showstopper issue on my end is that all KDE apps freeze for a while (their windows are greyed out and unresponsive) and sometimes crash after the screen wakes up: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=448275
                It doesn't seem to affect everyone, I wonder if there's something specific with my setup that triggers this bug.
                You're not alone in experiencing those bugs. It happens to me quite often, possibly related to this Wayland bug which links to relevant Qt and KDE bug reports. Unfortunately it seems a fix isn't ready yet, looking at a related merge request.

Another bug I'm hitting since the 5.24 beta is mpv with VA-API enabled will sometimes freeze the whole system when making the window fullscreen requiring a hard reset. Annoyingly difficult to get any kind of log for that since the whole system becomes instantly unresponsive.

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post
                  Regarding plasma wayland, why is there still an issue with the titlebar icons... i.e. why do some wayland applications display their correct icons, yet others display the wayland default?
                  I noticed that, especially Firefox. Must be a bug.

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
                    Another bug I'm hitting since the 5.24 beta is mpv with VA-API enabled will sometimes freeze the whole system when making the window fullscreen requiring a hard reset. Annoyingly difficult to get any kind of log for that since the whole system becomes instantly unresponsive.
                    Which GPU? AMD had a VAAPi related bug in 5.15.x which is fixed in 5.16.x.

Comment

If you want to try sixel, do this in a terminal that supports it:

Code:
                      mpv -vo=sixel --really-quiet <some-video>
                      Works in xterm if you launch it like this:

Code:
                      xterm -ti 340
                      It didn't work in stock Linux tty for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X