GStreamer 1.20 Multimedia Framework Released With Many Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GStreamer 1.20 Multimedia Framework Released With Many Improvements

Phoronix: GStreamer 1.20 Multimedia Framework Released With Many Improvements

GStreamer 1.20 is out as stable as the newest version of this widely-used, open-source and cross-platform multimedia framework...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Smart encoding passthroughs

Comment

Can someone explain to me what is this and what is it good for a Linux user?
      I understand why do we have FFMPEG, video players like VLC, MPV, etc, but I don't understand what the point of Gstreamer.
      I think I have installed some of it while following a tutorial about installing PipeWire in Kubuntu, but it was not explained for that purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        I understand why do we have FFMPEG, video players like VLC, MPV, etc, but I don't understand what the point of Gstreamer.
        Gstreamer isn't too exciting from a user perspective (unless the user cares about codec licensing). It's more about making devs' lives easier.

Comment

I think I have installed some of it while following a tutorial about installing PipeWire in Kubuntu, but it was not explained for that purpose.
          It's a framework (library) for application developers.

Think of it as the equivalent of GTK or Qt for graphical user interfaces, but for multimedia processing/streaming.

One of those ubiquitous middleware layers that users will only ever have to deal with if something goes wrong

Comment

Originally posted by (tpm) View Post

It's a framework (library) for application developers.

Think of it as the equivalent of GTK or Qt for graphical user interfaces, but for multimedia processing/streaming.

One of those ubiquitous middleware layers that users will only ever have to deal with if something goes wrong
            But it's more for the streaming part?
            Because I thought that FFMPEG is enough for any kind of video / audio processing.
            Anyway, thanks!

Comment

Because I thought that FFMPEG is enough for any kind of video / audio processing.
              We bring you the best of industry knowledge through a variety of informational blog posts and articles on the next-gen technologies.

Again, it's not something users really want to worry about.

Comment

It's a plugin framework for media processing, based on GLib/GObject. It has lots of flexibility in defining processing graphs and is even used in deep learning video analysis frameworks by Intel, Nvidia, and others. I think it was most likely inspired by Microsoft's DirectShow API.

There are some tools (like video editors, I think) which allow users to graphically build pipelines. You can also script pipelines using the `gst-launch-1.0` commandline interface.

It also has python and Rust bindings, even letting you use those languages for implementing your own plugins.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  https://www.oodlestechnologies.com/b...s-at-a-glance/
                  Again, it's not something users really want to worry about.
                  I'm not very knowledgeable about ffmpeg, but I think that somewhat undersells GStreamer.

Comment

Working...
                  X