GStreamer 1.20 Multimedia Framework Released With Many Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GStreamer 1.20 Multimedia Framework Released With Many Improvements

Phoronix: GStreamer 1.20 Multimedia Framework Released With Many Improvements

GStreamer 1.20 is out as stable as the newest version of this widely-used, open-source and cross-platform multimedia framework...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...GStreamer-1.20

Smart encoding passthroughs

Comment

Can someone explain to me what is this and what is it good for a Linux user?
      I understand why do we have FFMPEG, video players like VLC, MPV, etc, but I don't understand what the point of Gstreamer.
      I think I have installed some of it while following a tutorial about installing PipeWire in Kubuntu, but it was not explained for that purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        I understand why do we have FFMPEG, video players like VLC, MPV, etc, but I don't understand what the point of Gstreamer.
        Gstreamer isn't too exciting from a user perspective (unless the user cares about codec licensing). It's more about making devs' lives easier.

Comment

I think I have installed some of it while following a tutorial about installing PipeWire in Kubuntu, but it was not explained for that purpose.
          It's a framework (library) for application developers.

Think of it as the equivalent of GTK or Qt for graphical user interfaces, but for multimedia processing/streaming.

One of those ubiquitous middleware layers that users will only ever have to deal with if something goes wrong

Comment

Originally posted by (tpm) View Post

It's a framework (library) for application developers.

Think of it as the equivalent of GTK or Qt for graphical user interfaces, but for multimedia processing/streaming.

One of those ubiquitous middleware layers that users will only ever have to deal with if something goes wrong
            But it's more for the streaming part?
            Because I thought that FFMPEG is enough for any kind of video / audio processing.
            Anyway, thanks!

Comment

Because I thought that FFMPEG is enough for any kind of video / audio processing.
              https://www.oodlestechnologies.com/b...s-at-a-glance/
              Again, it's not something users really want to worry about.

Comment

It's a plugin framework for media processing, based on GLib/GObject. It has lots of flexibility in defining processing graphs and is even used in deep learning video analysis frameworks by Intel, Nvidia, and others. I think it was most likely inspired by Microsoft's DirectShow API.

There are some tools (like video editors, I think) which allow users to graphically build pipelines. You can also script pipelines using the `gst-launch-1.0` commandline interface.

It also has python and Rust bindings, even letting you use those languages for implementing your own plugins.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  https://www.oodlestechnologies.com/b...s-at-a-glance/
                  Again, it's not something users really want to worry about.
                  I'm not very knowledgeable about ffmpeg, but I think that somewhat undersells GStreamer.

Comment

Working...
                  X