Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76-Scheduler Is A New Pop!_OS Rust Effort To Improve Desktop Responsiveness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76-Scheduler Is A New Pop!_OS Rust Effort To Improve Desktop Responsiveness

Phoronix: System76-Scheduler Is A New Pop!_OS Rust Effort To Improve Desktop Responsiveness

Quietly making its v1.0 debut today is system76-scheduler as a Rust-written daemon aiming to improve Linux desktop responsiveness and catering to their Pop!_OS distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seems an interesting idea if it makes a noticeable difference. Hopefully it can also work with different shells.

Although it is a Rust project, and to make things worse, it does not use GPL license. This will indeed trigger some of the purists out here.

Comment

MPL-2.0 is a copyleft license that's effectively the Rust equivalent of the LGPL, so I'm sure it's fine with the purists. Proprietary forks aren't permitted, but linking statically is fine. You can integrate it into GPL, MIT, and Apache-2.0 projects without requiring a relicense. But unlike MIT and Apache-2.0 you can guarantee that anyone modifying the code has to open source it under the MPL-2.0 too. Seems like a win win proposition.
      Last edited by mmstick; 02 February 2022, 04:25 PM.

Comment

I think MPL is a great compromise between strong copyleft and permissive licenses.

MPL can replace permissive licenses in 99% of the cases because it is non-viral.

Comment

If it was a scheduler written in C, C++ or Pascal, no one would give a ... about it, nor a headline.

Comment

Where is my popcorn

Comment

Originally posted by amxfonseca View Post
              Seems an interesting idea if it makes a noticeable difference. Hopefully it can also work with different shells.

Although it is a Rust project, and to make things worse, it does not use GPL license. This will indeed trigger some of the purists out here.
              Already should.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                I'm sure they're referring to the automatic foreground and background process management. It requires that you have some way to tell the service about a window being focused. Pop!_OS is getting that information from pop-shell making a `SetForeground(pid)` DBus method call to the service.

Comment

At least I don't care about about the language it is written in, but if the project is effective. There is a variety of CPU schedulers on the Kernel-level already and noticed small improvements lately while using PDS/BMQ but nothing too major. As this project comes from the user-space side, is this a potential limitation?

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

I'm sure they're referring to the automatic foreground and background process management. It requires that you have some way to tell the service about a window being focused. Pop!_OS is getting that information from pop-shell making a `SetForeground(pid)` DBus method call to the service.
                    I suppose other environments would have to be patched to support this, then.

Who is running Kwin on top of the Pop Shell?

Comment

Working...
                    X