KDE's Falkon Browser Sees First Major Update In Nearly Three Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motang View Post

I thought Konqueror ran on WebKit/KHTML?
    WebKit is mostly dead. Even on openSUSE TW.
    Phoronix haven't worked for several months with latest WebKit.
    Much better with WebEngine, now.
    Only some little visuals aren't rendered correctly.
    Can't see the 3 knobs above on the right site... (Hello @Michael?!).

Comment

Now days, Konqueror depends on QtWebEngine by default, KHTML will be removed in Kf6, but even now, it's shrink to minimum, it means it cannot be used as engine, mostly js is disabled and so on security fixes just remove functionality. On one site to not be security issue, on other it will be removed.

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post

WebKit is mostly dead. Even on openSUSE TW.
        Phoronix haven't worked for several months with latest WebKit.
        Much better with WebEngine, now.
        Only some little visuals aren't rendered correctly.
        Can't see the 3 knobs above on the right site... (Hello @Michael?!).
        Doesn't Apple use WebKit? How can it be dead?

Comment

Originally posted by motang View Post

Doesn't Apple use WebKit? How can it be dead?
          They mean qtwebkit. It's deprecated and not included in qt6. Nowadays qtwebengine is its replacement, and it's based on chromium.

Comment

QtWebkit isn't dead, it's maintained actively https://github.com/qtwebkit/qtwebkit...twebkit-stable

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Yes, but the version in Kubuntu's repository is not updated yet.
              As for the Flatpak version, I don't like it too much as it doesn't allow me to download the executable and save it for offline use.
              You can hire technical support for Kubuntu, Ubuntu, etc., although if people have to support a system, it's understandable that they want foreseeable situations for at least six months. So, versions are released every six months (there are some exceptions, you can compile software, use snaps, flatpaks, PPAs...).

Falkon 3.2 is available today in Kubuntu if an unsupported daily cd image is used (https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/). Using a normal version of Kubuntu, Falkon 3.2 is available with "sudo snap install falkon" or compiling Falkon or possibly with a PPA or a flatpak or maybe following other ways.
              Last edited by Nth_man; 11 February 2022, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                That's usually a pro for me (lower resource usage), but I'm not big on keeping tons of tabs open.
                Palemoon is a good alternative if you want a low-resource browser with support for stylus/adblock/greasemonkey, which can enable even lower resource usage (and higher security) on today's ridonkulously promiscuous sites. My bank would pull scripts from no less than 18 third party hosts, each of which then is on scout's honour not to steal my credentials. Would you enter your PIN at an ATM with 18 strangers staring over your shoulder? lol. Crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post

Palemoon is a good alternative if you want a low-resource browser with support for stylus/adblock/greasemonkey, which can enable even lower resource usage (and higher security) on today's ridonkulously promiscuous sites. My bank would pull scripts from no less than 18 third party hosts, each of which then is on scout's honour not to steal my credentials. Would you enter your PIN at an ATM with 18 strangers staring over your shoulder? lol. Crazy.
                  I use NoScript for that. I hate random sites running stuff in my browser. And yes, it's crazy, sometimes the most innocuous of pages will load script from like half the Internet.
                  I'll take low RAM usage when I can, but it's not high on my priority list. I got a good deal on a 32GB kit a few years back

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I use NoScript for that. I hate random sites running stuff in my browser. And yes, it's crazy, sometimes the most innocuous of pages will load script from like half the Internet.
                    I'll take low RAM usage when I can, but it's not high on my priority list. I got a good deal on a 32GB kit a few years back
                    On Chrome yeah, NoScript, Greasemonkey, Stylus. Greasmonkey to make most sites work without javascript. Stylus makes the web a lot more pleasant: remove cookie banners, position:fixed/sticky navigation, floating social plugin shizzle; "globally dark" style that works for 99% of sites; "stop all CSS animations" style. Only the sites relying on third party reselling of your personal data lose out on ad revenue.

PaleMoon still uses a lot less RAM than Chrome per tab. Funny enough I use that on my Chromebook C720 with GalliumOS, since Google stopped releasing ChromeOS and without ChromeOS updates you can't update the browser, which really should be illegal.
                    Last edited by linuxgeex; 01 March 2022, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
                      Google stopped releasing ChromeOS
                      What do you mean by this? ChromeOS appears to be ongoing. Do you mean they stopped releasing source? Or updates for your particular machine?

Comment

Working...
                      X