Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 42 Improves XWayland Auto Termination Handling

Phoronix: GNOME 42 Improves XWayland Auto Termination Handling

The latest GNOME 42 feature work to mention is a ten month old merge request landing that cleans up and improves the XWayland termination for when there are no more X11 clients running within the GNOME Wayland session...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gosh, this won't be needed for centuries. Chances are you will *always* have at least a couple of X11 programs running at any given time

Comment

Staying with MATE. Kthxbye Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        Gosh, this won't be needed for centuries. Chances are you will *always* have at least a couple of X11 programs running at any given time
        I seldom use X11 programs...

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

I seldom use X11 programs...
          Sure...

Comment

Sure...
            Frankly 80% of the time I use Firefox, Evolution, gedit, LO or totem. They all run natively on wayland and x11 is not needed

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              Staying with MATE. Kthxbye Gnome.
              I liked the idea of MATE, but it always felt a bit glitchy when I used it. If I go that route it will be XFCE.

Comment

For me it's Wayland native 95% of the time. The missing 5% would be me using Signal Desktop which recently got broken under Wayland and I have to run it under Xwayland still.

Comment

Sure...
                  Why not? It's the same for me... Lots of apps still require special configurations/cares in order to be able to run Wayland, but most of them do.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

This isn't nowhere near an accurate claim these days. For plenty of users, there are no X11 programs that they need and for users that need it, having XWayland terminate properly when they shutoff a program that uses it is still a pure win.

Comment

Working...
                    X