GNOME 42 Lands New Screenshot/Screencast UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post

You may not need an extension for that. Have you checked GNOME Tweaks? I believe you have some focus-related options there.
    That's focus following the mouse. I use that, combined with "Mouse Follows Focus" and "Focus Changer" extensions so I can achieve sway/i3 like window navigation where the mouse moves to the center of the window using the keyboard.

Comment

Now how about implementing some important stuff that most real people actually like to use like desktop icons and a "start menu"?

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
        Now how about implementing some important stuff that most real people actually like to use like desktop icons and a "start menu"?

The only problem with extensions, is lack of stable abi , and you really to check if they are compatible before upgrading gnome. (or wait to extensions developpers are doing updates). Some extensions break at each release, this is really painfull.

Personnally, I don't use gnome workflow at all.
        I just use https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...dash-to-panel/ to have a minimum taskbar+icons + alt-f2 to launch apps.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

A lengthy post which discusses me and other people and doesn't even touch Gnome and its UI. Exactly what I expected. Disputing with Gnome aficionados is just futile.

Funnily KDE/XFCE/Enlightenment/Cinnamon/etc. lovers almost never behave this way. There's something about Gnome and its community.
          Thats utterly wrong. Sure, you don't see such flamewars in KDE threads, but thats because the Gnome people know how to behave. And then there are the other DE people, not using gnome, lurking around in the gnome threads and posting lots of BS there. So the problem really isn't the gnome userbase, it's the KDE and other DE fanboys, being just plain stupid. They really can't tolerate that gnome isn't made up to be like the others and they see being different as being bad, with no other thoughts in mind.

Gnome got other solutions to the same questions of how to start apps and I think they're more advanced. Also, did you ever notice that desktop icons are hidden behind your apps most of the time, making yopu shift around app windows all the time, just to access them? The idea of desktop icons isn't without UX problems so they shouldn't necessarily be the only religion.

If you like other ways to achieve your stuff maybe just go there.

Comment

I like the new ui, its pretty

Comment

Originally posted by spirit View Post

The only problem with extensions, is lack of stable abi , and you really to check if they are compatible before upgrading gnome. (or wait to extensions developpers are doing updates). Some extensions break at each release, this is really painfull.

Personnally, I don't use gnome workflow at all.
              I just use https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...dash-to-panel/ to have a minimum taskbar+icons + alt-f2 to launch apps.
              Yes. I had to install extensions to keep my wife happy. (Gnome desktop extensions that is).
              There still should be desktop icons and "start menu" as default to not confuse users.
              Even phones have "desktop icons".

Comment

Yes. I had to install extensions to keep my wife happy. (Gnome desktop extensions that is).
                lol

Finally:
                In an ocean of UI crybabies and triggered snowflakes who can't ignore troll-bait, a post emerges that at least brings amusement.
                Thank you, sir!

Comment

There still should be desktop icons and "start menu" as default to not confuse users.
                  I don't think so. It's not all about 'don't touch anything anyone might miss, so really noone gets offended. It's also not about caring for your wife being the stronger one in your personal relationship, it's just about trying to make sense in a gerenal way, which some people might like, others not. As long as there are enough people liking the way things are done, all is nice and dandy. And if your wife needs a classical win95 style desktop, maybe migrate her to KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post
                    As a non-user of the GNOME desktop I have no dog in this fight but seeing the screenshot I do wonder if they are really sure this is the direction they want to steer their desktop UI towards?
                    The comment suggests participation on that fight in a topic about GNOME Shell Screenshot UI. Have you read the article before commenting?

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

Or when a topic is bordering "snap" (or Canonical in general). Or systemd (though this has lost steam recently).
                      Or Wayland, or Rust.

Comment

Working...
                      X