GNOME 42 Lands New Screenshot/Screencast UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leech View Post
    See, I think I'm the opposite. These days I prefer, when I'm going to work on stuff that isn't my desktop setup, I prefer Gnome. It's just sort of there and works to launch the applications I want to use.
    If I want to play with settings and make things shiny, I play with Plasma or Amiga Workbench. Gnome is kind of like background noise.
    My configuration is far from shiny and pretty. Its functional with all the stuff I want at ease of reach.

Comment

I've also been told to shut my mouth by various Gnome community for bringing up fundamental design issues like no stable extension API (go ahead, keep the monkey patching, why not both?), which is both a privacy risk and huge headache when the patches inevitably fail to function (often resulting in loss of desktop). Some individuals within the Gnome community can't seem to tolerate wrongthink and attempt to shut down any criticism of the Gnome design. I don't think these are the core developers (with whom I've had many wonderful interactions), but rather some strangely devoted fringe members of the Linux community whose goals I can't seem to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie

Please continue flagging all my posts as trolling. I'm well aware that some people get mad when they realize that reality is wildly different from what they think it is. This is especially true about the followers of cults and various other avenues shared by a small amount of people who believe they are somehow special, different, divine and possess outworldly knowledge. Time and again, however, history shows that these groups of people invariably fall apart, fail spectacularly and their beliefs turn out to be nothing but falsehoods.

Gnome developers starting with version 3 have been catering to mobile a lot more than what's appropriate on the desktop. That's a fact. Exposing it does not make me a troll, it makes you look pathetic and weak in your belief. If you were actually rational, knowledgable and knew you were right and I was wrong, you'd have downplayed it and turned into into a joke.

Instead, you threaten me as if I burned down your house, raped and killed your wife and children and took all you money. It's horrifying what tribalism can do to people. Yeah, Gnome is a tribe. Attacking people just because they don't like what you worship doesn't mean they are wrong, it means you're acting as a blind hateful follower of a cult. For some reasons Open Source attracts people like you. Maybe if Linux were an OS just like Windows or Mac OS and had a decent market share, that wouldn't be the case but so far less than ~2% people are using it, most of them geeks or somehow related to IT, and that's such a rich soil for feeding hateful menacing plants like you.

Just to make it clear: I did not intend to troll. I described what I'd seen on the screenshot. Nothing on it looked close to a desktop application/OS.

Have a very nice day.
        I never flag a post unless it has direct insults. Never have flagged a post of yours. However your response is a perfect example of your complete lack of social skills. The only thing I mentioned is that people that start to repeat the same thing over and over again, tend to become irritating. You've already expressed, probably half thousand times, that you don't like Gnome's HIG. That's okay, it's a matter of taste. But stop spamming. The world doesn't go around just to hear your same old opinion time after time. It's okay to go through that stage when you move out of your parents' and are 18, but you are not my friend.

Just for you to think about it, responding so defensively to a single comment about an specific action and making it about the awake vs the zombies is a major symptom of cult followers you seem to despise. Check yourself, you really sound like either a cult follower or a preacher. Learn to debate. Learn to remain calm. Learn to read a room (or a forum). You are a grown man already.

I couldn't care less about you attacking GNOME if it wasn't SPAM (non-commercial proselytizing) by now. I just use something that is free and works okay for me. For the time being that is GNOME, but could be another thing tomorrow. That's the way rational and emotionally mature adults behave.

I'll let the insults directed at me go unanswered.

EDIT:
        Originally posted by phoronix_anon View Post
        I've also been told to shut my mouth by various Gnome community for bringing up fundamental design issues like no stable extension API (go ahead, keep the monkey patching, why not both?), which is both a privacy risk and huge headache when the patches inevitably fail to function (often resulting in loss of desktop). Some individuals within the Gnome community can't seem to tolerate wrongthink and attempt to shut down any criticism of the Gnome design. I don't think these are the core developers (with whom I've had many wonderful interactions), but rather some strangely devoted fringe members of the Linux community whose goals I can't seem to understand.
        It's not bringing up problems. It's repeating the same thing over and over again thinking by some kind of god complex that you are the only one enlightened enough to see through the mirror and that most people are stupid. I don't know if that is your case, but it is what birdie does.

EDIT 2: This is my last message about this topic. Everyone hates empty discussions that extend for several pages. Public forums are not for preaching nor fighting like kids.
        Last edited by sabian2008; 30 January 2022, 12:29 AM.

Comment

i know people will take a steaming turd on me, but i genuinely like gnome and really glad to see the improvements with every release. i didn't use gnome till 40 and its been nothing but rock stable for me.

i've gotten so use to the activities pane to manage my open windows that when i have to use my work laptop which has windows, i keep pressing the windows key to bring it up and get sad when the dumb state menu comes up. i always forget on windows its win key + tab key lol.
          Last edited by middy; 30 January 2022, 12:28 AM.

Comment

birdie

Gnome is unapologetically opinionated. If you don't like the way they do things then just don't use them. Clearly it isn't made for you. Based on how many people personally opt into using it clearly some people like it. I personally appreciate the workflow of gnome and like appreciate their opinionated and focused nature. You look at other projects like kde and realize they have like a million bars and settings and configurations that are burdened with a decade of technical debt that is impossible to test in every configuration that inevitably leads to all sorts of bugs and then you realize the benefits of being hyper focused in design. This isn't a knock against kde either. There are a lot of people who appreciate this exact thing about kde. That's why we have different desktop environments. Different strokes for different folks. Don't you have better things to do than cry about shit that clearly isn't made for you that other people get enjoyment out of?
            Last edited by risho; 30 January 2022, 12:33 AM.

Comment

is that an iOS app? this looks like it was made for a smartphone, definitely not for a PC

Comment

Gnome just keeps getting worse. A KDE regression in my distro forced me to use something else, so I've been using Gnome. Wayland support is worse now than it was 4 years ago, the new way multiple desktops work is a step backwards in every way, and all of my apps randomly crash. The UI concepts were never sane, but at least they finally saw the value of having a minimize button on those giant window title bars. Who uses this junk?

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
                  i've gotten so use to the activities pane to manage my open windows that when i have to use my work laptop which has windows, i keep pressing the windows key to bring it up and get sad when the dumb state menu comes up. i always forget on windows its win key + tab key lol.
                  I like it, too! it's definitely not without flaws but what isn't? I like how out-of-the-way everything is and how well-designed their apps are.

I don't even understand birdie 's take that it's a "mobile ui". Even if it's more mobile friendly than something like KDE, there's a lot about the UI that's distinctly desktop.

The follow features/design aspects aren't generally found on phones or aren't well-suited to them: stacked windows, minimize and maximize, workspaces, active applications showing in the dash, the status popup menu in the top bar.

Gnome probably would probably work really nicely on a tablet, but I don't know why that would be a bad thing.

As it relates to this particular topic I'm gonna assume birdie is saying that the large, easy to hit buttons in the Screenshot app UI are exclusively a mobile thing even though they're neither uncommon nor dumb to see in a desktop UI. I'd love to see a mockup design of what birdie would consider his ideal desktop environment.
                  Last edited by Myownfriend; 04 February 2022, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kon14 View Post
                    but most people are not particularly keep on using lackluster desktops that still look exactly how they did back in the gtk2 era, which btw wasn't even that long ago for yours
                    There is nothing wrong with the old Paradigm of using a Desktop. You have Folders, Icons, Toolbars with Icons that actually mean something. No fullsize Filechoosers, Stripes in Icons that don't say anything. Icons and Buttons in Windowtitles and so on.

Originally posted by kon14 View Post
                    considering how XFCE barely managed to migrate to Gtk+3 by the time Gtk4 was released.
                    Xfce4 is fully ported to Gtk3 (and there is no Plus sign inside it). Get your facts right.

Comment

As a non-user of the GNOME desktop I have no dog in this fight but seeing the screenshot I do wonder if they are really sure this is the direction they want to steer their desktop UI towards?
                      Last edited by reba; 30 January 2022, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X