No announcement yet.

PipeWire 0.3.44 Released With Latency Improvements, Minimal PW Server Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PipeWire 0.3.44 Released With Latency Improvements, Minimal PW Server Support

Phoronix: PipeWire 0.3.44 Released With Latency Improvements, Minimal PW Server Support

This will hopefully be the year that PipeWire becomes commonplace on the Linux desktop across all major distributions for audio/video stream management. But for as good as PipeWire is already, frequent point releases continue evolving the functionality and ironing out compatibility improvements for existing JACK and PulseAudio integration. PipeWire 0.3.44 is out today as another step in the right direction...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pipewire is on of the better things showed in Linux world in last months. I use it as a default audio server on my platform and finally can use one configuration for both standard use cases and music production without switching audio servers etc.

Comment

I use it on Tumbleweed and it works really well, among other things it is also easy to install it, if the default is still Pulse. In Tumbleweed all you need is to install pipewire-pulse (the system will inform you that pulse and some dependencies will be uninstalled), proceed ..., the rest is all automatic, including enabling the pipewire services.

Comment

The most important fixes in pipewire-server:
        • A potential memory leak in the message queue was fixed. (#1840)
        • Servers should now again be able to listen in IPv4. (#2047)
        • module-x11-bell was added. (#1668)
        • Fix a regression in telegram sounds not playing.
        The bell module has sorely been missing - it's required for X11 terminals to produce an audio bell when you've got no PC speaker.

Comment

Sadly Canonical is and will ignore it for about 10 years like it did with systemd and Wayland.
          They do everything to not contribute to anything useful for Linux.
          Red Hat is being amazing again, congrats and many thanks to them!

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
            Pipewire is on of the better things showed in Linux world in last months. I use it as a default audio server on my platform and finally can use one configuration for both standard use cases and music production without switching audio servers etc.
            Exact same usage scenario for me. It's light years ahead of the former kludgy hack that was required to bridge together PulseAudio and JACK servers. With PipeWire you have excellent low-latency audio support now when needed, and "normal" apps that don't care about latency work as expected as if running under PulseAudio. In my experience this puts Linux miles ahead of Windows and Mac for more complex environments with multiple input/output device routing and consumer apps running concurrently with professional audio apps.

With that said, there is one serious reported compatibility issue where Zoom can't share system audio when screen sharing. (Yeah, I know, Zoom.... But sometimes it's required, and it has to work.)

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              Sadly Canonical is and will ignore it for about 10 years like it did with systemd and Wayland.
              They do everything to not contribute to anything useful for Linux.
              Red Hat is being amazing again, congrats and many thanks to them!
              common dont say Mir and snapps are usless ;P

Comment

It is annoying that it requires meson 0.59 - you can't build it for older distros, because of crazy dependencies of meson itself.
                Last edited by khnazile; 27 January 2022, 09:49 AM.

Comment

pipewire rollout across linux is probably one of the speedier things that has happened in recent times.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                    pipewire rollout across linux is probably one of the speedier things that has happened in recent times.
                    It may seem that way but Red Hat started working on this project in 2015. It took a long time before it got into Fedora.

Comment

Working...
                    X