No announcement yet.

KDE's Very Busy Week From 15 Minute Bugs To Plasma Wayland Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting an instant response or fix on a bug report is always nice, but can't be guaranteed anywhere. It all really depends on what kind of bug you're reporting and the project's level of resourcing compared to its scale.

KDE and GNOME both do their best, but GNOME has a bit of an edge because there is so much *less* of GNOME. In KDE, we have an enormous amount of software and constantly need more help maintaining what we have. Code and bug triaging contributions are hugely impactful.

https://community.kde.org/Guidelines...s/Bug_triaging
    Last edited by ngraham; 22 January 2022, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Wow. This is despite the fact that the Gnome project is rife with bug reports and feature requests which takes years to resolve, not the mention a crazy amount of bug reports they've closed as WONTFIX. I'd love to see the bug reports you've filed. This sounds way too good to be true.
      It's not winblows that takes months to fix security critical vulnerabilities (infamous desktop icons). Last time I reported security bug in Gnome it was fixed in few days. Aren't those WONTFIX just wishes instead of bugs?

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

It's not winblows that takes months to fix security critical vulnerabilities (infamous desktop icons). Last time I reported security bug in Gnome it was fixed in few days. Aren't those WONTFIX just wishes instead of bugs?
        Same here. Let the KDE fanboys bark all they want.

Comment

I've been a long time Mint - Cinnamon user. But with every release I'm getting increasingly disappointed with Cinnamon.
          • Very poor QA - every point release adds crashes and breaking bugs.
          • There are many annoying issues reported that get ignored for months, or even years, but could be easily fixed by someone in an hour or so.
          • Instead of fixing broken stuff, the severely understaffed dev team focuses on adding more stupid bloatware apps noone needs or wants.
            • I mean seriously. It's 2022. Why would I need a new IPTV player (Hypnotix)? Or a brand new Download manager? Or a tool for transfering files between my phone and PC (Warpinator)? Or a frickin "Web Apps" with which you can "install" a website that normal people can easily open in a browser?
          I've been considering a switch to either Ubuntu on Gnome or Kubuntu with KDE. How do these projects compare in terms of developer resources, staffing, issue triage and prioritization? Do these environments also suffer from waste of resources on bloatware?

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post
            Getting an instant response or fix on a bug report is always nice, but can't be guaranteed anywhere. It all really depends on what kind of bug you're reporting and the project's level of resourcing compared to its scale.

KDE and GNOME both do their best, but GNOME has a bit of an edge because there is so much *less* of GNOME. In KDE, we have an enormous amount of software and constantly need more help maintaining what we have. Code and bug triaging contributions are hugely impactful.

https://community.kde.org/Guidelines...s/Bug_triaging
            Hi Nate! Just a quick question: I saw Vlad refer to having a focus on "layered rendering" in 5.25. Do you have an idea on what this refers to? I saw it and it piqued my curiosity.

Thanks for the hard work!

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
              There's a new update of qbittorrent (for my linux iso collection) on my windows machine. It says that they have semi-experimental qt6 version. Can't wait to see kde pick this up
              I don't think qbittorrent is under the KDE umbrella. They have ktorrent for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                It took months / years to fix the memory leak in Gnome Shell, with Gnome developers denying it all the time
                Plus, GNOME 2.x inspired JWZ's famous The CADT Model post.

This is another data point in "KDE users consider GNOME a crashy/buggy mess, GNOME users consider KDE a crashy/buggy mess, and they're both right, because it's a question of which use patterns the devs are and aren't dogfooding."

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                  Hopefully 5.24 gets LTS status and openSUSE leap 15.4 adopts it.
                  No comments please about adding latest Qt and KDE from repos, something usually breaks or causes dependency issues elsewhere.
                  I'm with you 100% on this one. I have tried the repos's on the openSUSE website in a VM but then all heck breaks loose. It gets even worse when you try to apply an official point update (15.1 -> 15.2). Figures crossed.

Comment

ngraham Just for curiosity: What do you think about the KWinFT project? Is it justified? What do you think about the joice to remove Qt dependencies and relying on wlroots? What can KWin learn from KWinFT? Is there any chance that KWin and KWinFT will merge?
                    Last edited by Steffo; 22 January 2022, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dekernel View Post

I'm with you 100% on this one. I have tried the repos's on the openSUSE website in a VM but then all heck breaks loose. It gets even worse when you try to apply an official point update (15.1 -> 15.2). Figures crossed.
                      Those are the OBS repositories, they are managed by the openSUSE kde maintainers, they are used to build KDE and then it will be sent to Factory, it also includes the beta versions and they don't have any openQA.
                      It is never a great idea to put new software on an old basis, especially if it is not officially maintained.
                      openSUSE users who want the latest versions should opt for Tumbleweed.
                      But I agree ... let's hope it becomes Lts, so that Leap can update, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did it regardless, as Plasma 5.18 will end support anyway I guess 2 years of support are now over.

Comment

Working...
                      X