Wine 7.0 Released With Improved Theming, New WoW64 & Much More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

So functionality is there but it does not work right now?
    I am also curious if this will work for 16 bit windows applications on 64-bit Linux. The 16 bit support of Wine is typically better than that of Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Yes, it seems it will work when remaining modules will be converted to PE.

Using Wine on 64 bit OS without installing tons of 32 bit libraries will be nice feature. One step closer to pure 64 bit OS. I wonder if this will bring Wine to macOS newer than 10.14 Mojave as well. I know that Crossover supports that but Wine doesn't.
      Does this also mean that building from source will become as straight forward as pretty much every other open source project? Because it sure ain't right now.

Comment

I can't wait for the wayland backend where collabora was working on.
        That and FUTEX2 of course

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
          I am also curious if this will work for 16 bit windows applications on 64-bit Linux. The 16 bit support of Wine is typically better than that of Windows.
          Fun reality is the 16 bit windows applications running in wine don't use any 16 bit libraries provided by wine because wine does not provide 16 bit libraries. Yes 16 bit windows programs running in wine are using 32 bit wine libraries by a form of thunking. So this will basically end up thunked twice.

16 bit windows applications required in wine a special set of fixes in the Linux and freebsd kernel to fix CPU design issues of 16 bit protected mode that without the fixes lead to security faults as well. That a fun kernel mailing list issue where the intel developer attempts to disable 16 bit protected mode on 64 bit systems due to the fault and because windows no longer required and there would be no users of 16 bit protected mode right and then the wine developers were like hell no we use it. This is related.

This 32 to 64 bit thunking is part of the work to bring some of the work of the hangover project mainline. Yes this should complete allow 64 bit only mac os x86 to work again. This should allow some people to install closer to 64 bit only Linux system. Of course the hangover project bit of emulator for wine to allow wine to run the x86 applications emulated and the host be arm with host 64 bit libraries being thunked to is still a while off. Yes that would provide a different way of supporting 16 bit protected mode applications when the host does not with wine mainline.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Point is that better is relative not just to the other Wine cases, but to the experiences. Basically, it can simply be worse.
            Instead of speculating, how about you show us a concrete example of a game that runs worse with Lutris-GE vs. plain WINE?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Instead of speculating, how about you show us a concrete example of a game that runs worse with Lutris-GE vs. plain WINE?
              Why bother? It's you who claimed some absolute thing (i.e. that it's always better). Want to prove it?

That was my point. Your absolute claim is false.

Comment

Originally posted by vrorin View Post

Does this also mean that building from source will become as straight forward as pretty much every other open source project? Because it sure ain't right now.
                Probably. AFAIK there is no building guide for new WoW64 yet.

Comment

Working...
                X