Firefox Gets AV1 VA-API Acceleration Sorted Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post

I (and others) are telling you that was a bad marketing decision. Yeah, they'll sell like hotcakes at launch, but two years down the road, lack of AV1 will come back to bite them in the butt. Intel's ramping up their cards and Nvidia's probably going to come out with low end GPU's that do AV1.
    Now STFU, stop typing like a child, and go back to English class.
    Marketing decision which is possibly not true (see my post above about mismatching informations)

edit:
    some more hint that 6400/6500XT should support av1 decode:
    Last edited by blackshard; 19 January 2022, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
      What is the current status of Linux video acceleration/offloading by browsers?

Firefox - As of Firefox 80 https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-80-VA-API-X11
      Chromium -
      GNOME Web -

???
      To stay up to date with this, use the ArchWiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Har...cation_support

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
        Marketing decision which is possibly not true (see my post above about mismatching informations)
        It would be nice if it was a misprint, but I'm not hopeful. The link you gave for the VCN table was last updated December 2020...
        Also, AMD seems to have cut out H264/H265 encoding capabilities for these GPU's. That makes sense for low end cards, but no AV1 decode doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

What is worse is, the future laptop Ryzen 6000 series APUs will have AV1 decode. For the life of me I cannot understand what AMD were thinking. As you said, people buying those things need the AV1 decode more than those with a RX 6800 on their machines.
          Over at Golem.de they gave an interesting explanation for the lack of AV1 decoding. Their assumption is the card is primarily designed for Laptops with Rembrandt-APUs which provide additional display ports and AV1 decoding. Because of this the Navi 24 GPU doesn't need AV1 decoding.
          Last edited by dc_coder_84; 19 January 2022, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

I (and others) are telling you that was a bad marketing decision. Yeah, they'll sell like hotcakes at launch, but two years down the road, lack of AV1 will come back to bite them in the butt. Intel's ramping up their cards and Nvidia's probably going to come out with low end GPU's that do AV1.
            Now STFU, stop typing like a child, and go back to English class.
            Why on earth would I waste time focusing on grammer for someone who is complaining about AMD doing whatever they can the get more cards out of the door. this isn't so formal place lol. this is the internet. if you can't deal with some bad grammar from someone typing on a phone. you are in for a bad time.

I highly doubt this will come back to bite them. it never did for the rx580. which doesn't even have vp9 support. which is required for HW accel at 1440p + resolution with many streaming services.

if you think that even a large minority of people buying gpus care right now about av1 you are out of your mind.

where is the massive backlash about lack of vp9 decode. or rather "hybrid decode" was that not a bad decision? No. because the majority of people do not give a shit. and people won't care about av1 either. because most people with dgpus, don't care about the bit extra cpu usage from software decoding.

laptop users sure. that could be a big difference. but when a 2 core no HT ryzen 1+ can do 4k60 av1 decode on powersaving profile. most people will not care.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

Why on earth would I waste time focusing on grammer for someone who is complaining about AMD doing whatever they can the get more cards out of the door. this isn't so formal place lol. this is the internet. if you can't deal with some bad grammar from someone typing on a phone. you are in for a bad time.

I highly doubt this will come back to bite them. it never did for the rx580. which doesn't even have vp9 support. which is required for HW accel at 1440p + resolution with many streaming services.

if you think that even a large minority of people buying gpus care right now about av1 you are out of your mind.

where is the massive backlash about lack of vp9 decode. or rather "hybrid decode" was that not a bad decision? No. because the majority of people do not give a shit. and people won't care about av1 either. because most people with dgpus, don't care about the bit extra cpu usage from software decoding.

laptop users sure. that could be a big difference. but when a 2 core no HT ryzen 1+ can do 4k60 av1 decode on powersaving profile. most people will not care.
              People don't complain lack of vp9 in polaris cards because all amd cards earlier than it also don't have vp9. There is a significant difference between "delay of feature" and "taking out feature".

Comment

Nothing surprising here. AMD always has been behind in the topic of hardware video acceleration in their GPUs, no matter dGPU or iGPU/APU. It should be the assumption rather than surprise if you going to buy or already bought. For youtube you always can use one of h264ify plugins to force h264 and fell happy with low CPU load. For instance on my old Phenom II 965 and iGPU Radeon HD4200 it reduces CPU load from ~180% to 40%. FX8350 with RX460 changes from 120% to around 25%.
                If you really need bleeding edge hw accel then one of Intel iGPUs is for you. Even not necessarily latest gen.

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post

People don't complain lack of vp9 in polaris cards because all amd cards earlier than it also don't have vp9. There is a significant difference between "delay of feature" and "taking out feature".
                  there is, but there is also significant difference between removing a feature to be cheap, and removing a feature to get more cards on the shelves when there are none.

Comment

Working...
                  X