No announcement yet.

GNOME 42 Alpha Released With A Lot Of GTK4 Porting, Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish gnome comes inbuilt with dash to panel, arc menu and appindicator extensions, officially supported.

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post
      Honestly, I was a diehard gnome user in the 2.x days, and when I discovered I hated the 3.x ui changes I wound up giving kde 5 a shot and haven't looked back since. If you prefer the more traditional layout like xfce but also enjoy a modern shiny look, kde can't be beat.
      KDE is bloated an always has been, if one wants a simple UI use a WM

Comment

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
        I wish gnome comes inbuilt with dash to panel, arc menu and appindicator extensions, officially supported.
        That'd make GNOME just another Windows lookalike, no thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ManicRobot View Post

No, it wouldn't.
          "Supported" is not "default".

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Yeah, another great update I've been skipping since 2011. In my totally irrelevant PoV Gnome 2 was the last version of Gnome which reminded me of a desktop environment for a desktop PC. Nowadays I'm a sad user of XFCE. Why sad? Because XFCE has probaly 1% of Gnome's manpower, so development is extremely slow, bugs take forever to be fixed and there's no Wayland support in sight
            You are aware that Gnome Classic now also utilizes Wayland, I hope.

There's your traditional desktop PC graphical environment right there.

Anyway, the GUI is irrelevant on Linux. I'll use any stacking DE that has Wayland support if it works properly and isn't half broken to hell for every damn thing a GUI is supposed to do.

Unfortunately, no such DE exists.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

KDE is not bloated per se, Plasma is. That's the primary reason I outright refuse to use it.

In KDE3 we had kicker, kdesktop, krunner, etc. - all separate tidy small effective independent processes, then came mobile-first Plasma with retarded plasmoids. I see my desktop probably 0.01% of the time that I use the PC, why KDE devs are so obsessed with something absolute most desktop users never see or use?

I want this I won't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

I used to use Gnome with Dash to Panel because bare Gnome 3.x felt weird. Eventually I upgraded to Gnome 40 but Dash to Panel wasn't working so I had to give bare Gnome a shot and it's pretty nice.

One of the reasons I like it is because the overview is mapped to a button on my mouse so I can pop that up as I'm moving to select a window. It all feels very quick and since the panel is only visible in the overview, each application's icon is be way bigger than on Dash to Panel so they're easier to hit but they don't actually take any screen real estate away from the applications.
                That's the reason I changed to KDE. For weeks Dash to Dock and Dash to Panel were broken in Gnome 40 but contrary to you, I got fed up of having to open the activities window for everything. Now I appreciate how useful it is to have a task manager which is officially supported and doesn't break with each upgrade plus I can get all the functionality from applications that use a tray icon. Maybe in a tablet GNOME is way more usable than KDE but for the moment I decided to stay with the trusted and userful desktop convention of having a task manager and a system tray just like every other major DE.

Comment

Originally posted by ManicRobot View Post

I use computer to do work. I don't care whether it looks window, Mac or any other sane UX operating system.
                  I'm not that kind of ❄️.

Comment

Nowadays I'm a sad user of XFCE. Why sad? Because XFCE has probaly 1% of Gnome's manpower, so development is extremely slow

There is no funded organization behind XFCE. That's why.

there's no Wayland support in sight
                    Wayland is an instrument of GNOME supremacy. Don't expect anything but to be the 2nd class citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                      It is so bloated, that eats less resources and being faster than primitive GNOME.

Comment

Working...
                      X