GNOME 42 Alpha Released With A Lot Of GTK4 Porting, Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 42 Alpha Released With A Lot Of GTK4 Porting, Other Improvements

Phoronix: GNOME 42 Alpha Released With A Lot Of GTK4 Porting, Other Improvements

The alpha release of GNOME 42 is now available for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GNOME 42 is shaping up to be yet another great update in the 40+ series.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post
      GNOME 42 is shaping up to be yet another great update in the 40+ series.
      Yeah, another great update I've been skipping since 2011. In my totally irrelevant PoV Gnome 2 was the last version of Gnome which reminded me of a desktop environment for a desktop PC. Nowadays I'm a sad user of XFCE. Why sad? Because XFCE has probaly 1% of Gnome's manpower, so development is extremely slow, bugs take forever to be fixed and there's no Wayland support in sight

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        development is extremely slow, bugs take forever to be fixed and there's no Wayland support in sight
        What about the other DEs with more traditional workflows and higher development activity? Did you give them a try to see if any suits your needs?

Comment

Gotta say as a die-hard KDE user, I hit some issues with KDE a few weeks ago and decided to give Gnome another try via Pop_OS. Gnome is always installed by default (with the Pop_OS hacks) but I always swapped over to KDE immediately after install. After a few weeks on Gnome, I do have to admit its not to bad. It has a couple of quirks to get used to but from a workflow side of things, I have not noticed any major issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post

What about the other DEs with more traditional workflows and higher development activity? Did you give them a try to see if any suits your needs?
            Yeah, why not use, say, MATE? I've used it before and it's pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
              After a few weeks on Gnome, I do have to admit its not to bad. It has a couple of quirks to get used to but from a workflow side of things, I have not noticed any major issues.
              I used to use Gnome with Dash to Panel because bare Gnome 3.x felt weird. Eventually I upgraded to Gnome 40 but Dash to Panel wasn't working so I had to give bare Gnome a shot and it's pretty nice.

One of the reasons I like it is because the overview is mapped to a button on my mouse so I can pop that up as I'm moving to select a window. It all feels very quick and since the panel is only visible in the overview, each application's icon is be way bigger than on Dash to Panel so they're easier to hit but they don't actually take any screen real estate away from the applications.

Comment

Speaking of personal experiences, I always used gnome 2, during the migration to gnome 3, I stick with the gnome classic interface, but even then it had it's issues/quirks, some performance related.

I didn't like KDE at the time because of it's blue shadow around the apps and overall appearance, but once I saw the release video of Plasma 5, they solved that "ugliness" factor for me, so I migrated to it.

But for my family or the ones that I had to be the "IT guy", I always installed gnome for them, the less they could change a configuration, less effort I spent doing support 😅

Comment

Yeah, another great update I've been skipping since 2011. In my totally irrelevant PoV Gnome 2 was the last version of Gnome which reminded me of a desktop environment for a desktop PC. Nowadays I'm a sad user of XFCE. Why sad? Because XFCE has probaly 1% of Gnome's manpower, so development is extremely slow, bugs take forever to be fixed and there's no Wayland support in sight
                  XFCE is Dead, to many Developers there dont see eye to eye. your better off using a WM like Sway thats Wayland efficient ,

i dunno if XFCE 4.18 will be much better than 4.16 either

Comment

Honestly, I was a diehard gnome user in the 2.x days, and when I discovered I hated the 3.x ui changes I wound up giving kde 5 a shot and haven't looked back since. If you prefer the more traditional layout like xfce but also enjoy a modern shiny look, kde can't be beat.

Comment

Working...
                    X