Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mumble 1.4 Released For Open-Source Voice Chat

Phoronix: Mumble 1.4 Released For Open-Source Voice Chat

It's been over two years since Mumble 1.3 was released for this open-source VoIP / voice chat program that is popular with gamers and open-source enthusiasts while today it's been succeeded by Mumble 1.4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is too bad Discord is killing Mumble and IRC.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 17 January 2022, 06:19 AM. Reason: rephrase

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      No thanks Discord for killing Mumble and IRC.
      IDK, my friends all still use Mumble and not Discord because they love me too much to leave me and I'm a stubborn/principled ass. They don't argue with the reasons though, and I think I'm turning them to the dark side, slowly...
      Mumble latency is actually no joke. Great efficient app. Plugin framework is gonna be great too, so I can add in all the bloat the devs failed to give me out of the box :P''

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        No thanks Discord for killing Mumble and IRC.
        Proprietary chrome blob with defected mods that can easily delete your server and ban you for thoughcrime? No, thanks. Mumble is da wae.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

Proprietary chrome blob with defected mods that can easily delete your server and ban you for thoughcrime? No, thanks. Mumble is da wae.
          Someone is mad because they can't hurl insults at other people freely

Comment

Originally posted by Doomsdayrs View Post

Someone is mad because they can't hurl insults at other people freely
            Regardless of the motivations of the OP, it is unfortunate that being required to keep a civil tongue is often a reason some people pick unregulated chat services over curated ones. It usually has nothing to do with whether it's a FLOSS project or not.

Comment

Proprietary chrome blob
              Lol. Electron = FOSS.
              Their app literally just runs their website = Also open source, just open dev tools.
              The only thing proprietary is their server side API/software.

You can boot up any browser you want and go to Discord.com and use it without installing anything.

with defected mods that can easily delete your server and ban you for thoughcrime? No, thanks. Mumble is da wae.
              Ah yes, because no one has ever had their purchased servers taken down for "thoughtcrime" before?
              Good grief. If thoughtcrime is your reasoning, buying your own server won't save you.

---

Unfortunately Mumble is not "popular with gamers" anymore at all.
              I say unfortunately because there are legitimate reasons to want your own "private" server, such as privacy of your messages.
              However, I'm pretty sure this will end up being provided by TeamSpeak. Since all anyone wants is Discord but with their own server. Which is what the new TeamSpeak will end up being when it's finished development.
              And if Discord gets wise they will let you purchase your own private instance of Discord.

I actually warned the Mumble devs this would happen when Discord appeared.
              I told them the only way to save mumble was to start fresh (rewrite) just using a WebRTC wrapper so they could focus on making it feature rich and private.
              They lost the security argument (Discord has better encryption, supports HTTP/3, Mumble's voice encryption is ancient).
              They lost the low latency argument (everyone is using the same codec)

The only argument they had was privacy, but they failed to see the future and the end result was that most of the original devs abandoned it.
              When you lose so many users, it's hard to keep motivated to work on it.

Comment

i hate how everything is slowly becoming a chromium / chrome browser "application." web apps were a mistake.

Comment

It's a shame, so many wandered off to Discord. I mean, i understand the convenience to not have to care for a server and the noise cancellation is pretty good in discord, but it's a bloated proprietary mess compared to the lean mumble-client :/

Comment

This is exactly what I meant. I rephrased my comment for clarity.

Comment

Working...
                    X