Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Aiming For GNOME 42, Avoiding GTK4 Where Possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Aiming For GNOME 42, Avoiding GTK4 Where Possible

Phoronix: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Aiming For GNOME 42, Avoiding GTK4 Where Possible

Ubuntu developers have laid out their GNOME versioning plans for this spring's release of Ubuntu 22.04 LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Makes sense as gtk3 is LTS as well.

Comment

Everything Ubuntu does makes little sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
        Actually, most of the time it makes perfect sense from a market and end user perspective.

I think they should confront the vanilla plague even further, as Yaru and all the nice themes out there will be severely hit by the crap they're pulling with libadwaita. Just having a recolored adwaita won't make adwaita look better. Like a plaster on a wooden leg. That's also why bypassing libadwaita is the smartest thing to do if you want consistency.

My only exception in the globally smart vision they have is the way they force snaps (like the deb transitional packages actually installing the snap and snapd as a dependency if you haven't blocked it, e.g. Chromium).

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
          Everything insane people like you say makes no sense.

Comment

Really, the Gnome developers should just permanently block theming and be done with it.

I want to see a unified and consistent graphical desktop environment across all distributions. Gnome 4x and libadwaita is the closest to that milestone.

macOS has never allowed theming, and I really hope Microsoft will follow suit in updated versions of Windows 11 and future versions of Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              Really, the Gnome developers should just permanently block theming and be done with it.

I want to see a unified and consistent graphical desktop environment across all distributions. Gnome 4x and libadwaita is the closest to that milestone.

macOS has never allowed theming, and I really hope Microsoft will follow suit in updated versions of Windows 11 and future versions of Windows.
              iblocking in linux? nosense, if i want close i go to mac, where we cant change a thing, open is about change what we want.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

I hope not. I prefer to make the desktop look like how I want it to.

And funny how you mention other OS's, but macOS is about the only OS where theming is not possible. Windows, Linux, Haiku, AmigaOS (both the old 3.x as well as the current 4.1), BSD, Chrome OS… they all support theming one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                  Actually, most of the time it makes perfect sense from a market and end user perspective.

I think they should confront the vanilla plague even further, as Yaru and all the nice themes out there will be severely hit by the crap they're pulling with libadwaita. Just having a recolored adwaita won't make adwaita look better. Like a plaster on a wooden leg. That's also why bypassing libadwaita is the smartest thing to do if you want consistency.

My only exception in the globally smart vision they have is the way they force snaps (like the deb transitional packages actually installing the snap and snapd as a dependency if you haven't blocked it, e.g. Chromium).
                  As you can see I had put the smiley face, it was ironic.

Comment

This is a pointless effort, waste of resources. It is a purely marketing move "trust us we care about stability, we put work". Just use upstream, vanilla. It is simpler and you can spend your energy into more valuable things.

Comment

Working...
                    X