GNOME Shell & Mutter Prepare For GNOME 42 Alpha With Exciting Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

Have you actually tried that? Right now it is not remote desktop, just screen sharing. You cannot connect remotely to your desktop, login and just work.
    That is wrong. I regularly control a friends PC over this. Its not a good experience as it is limited by VNC but it certainly works as advertised.

Comment

The nicest thing about 42 isn't the continued polish of the shell but all the userland apps that are now ported to GTK4/libadwaita, I especially look forward to the GTK4 port of files, already testing it from nightly and its just lovely.

Comment

I know, just nothing usable right now.
        You said "not a word about color management". If you are aware of these efforts, you will be able to hear plenty of words by subscribing to these PRs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

That is wrong. I regularly control a friends PC over this. Its not a good experience as it is limited by VNC but it certainly works as advertised.
          Do you use it as remote assist while your friend is signed in? That is supported case. But you cannot connect if screen is locked, also you cannot connect if user is not signed in.

Comment

Do you use it as remote assist while your friend is signed in? That is supported case. But you cannot connect if screen is locked, also you cannot connect if user is not signed in.
            For not signed in lot of those cases I handle with waypipe by ssh. Sending a full desktop over network gets very heavy very quickly. Sending select applications is not as bad.

So there is question how many cases do you really need a full desktop remote.

Comment

Here you go: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome..._requests/1135

There are multiples aspects of this being worked on simulataneously, from gnome settings, mutter/gnome-shell to the xdg-portals (allowing interoperability). Hopefully it will all be ready by gnome 42.
              Last edited by You-; 12 January 2022, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Needs HDR support.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                  Needs HDR support.
                  That kinda requires that the protocol is finished first and then it requires app support.

Comment

Yeah!.... Waaait, wasn't the last one most exciting as well?

On the serious note:
                    - still nothing about actually working remote desktop solution with Wayland;
                    - not a word about color management.
                    Waypipe works great.

Comment

The screen magnifier will try better to avoid offscreen rendering.
                      As someone who is visually impaired, how does that going to work for me? Improved performance? Sometimes the screen will move in its own when it does not know where to focus. Especially when using Firefox or any other non-GTK applications.

Comment

Working...
                      X