Firefox 96 Yields Less Load On The Main Thread, WebP Encoder For Canvas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 96 Yields Less Load On The Main Thread, WebP Encoder For Canvas

Phoronix: Firefox 96 Yields Less Load On The Main Thread, WebP Encoder For Canvas

Firefox 96.0 is officially shipping today as the first update of 2022 for this open-source web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo: "huge/whiteness/blackness" should say "hue".

Will the "video quality degradation fixes" stop Youtube from randomly downgrading videos and running "1080p auto" that is really 480 or worse?

Comment

Firefox 96 also simplifies the process of enabling hardware decoding by removing the need to disable the rdd sandbox

Comment

Speaking of WebP - does anyone know how to enable WebP support in Ubuntu 21.10 (kubuntu)? Firefox and such support it because they come with their own built-in WebP libraries. For example - Qt5 doesn't support WebP, but afaik used to.

Comment

Originally posted by Cotyso View Post
          Firefox 96 also simplifies the process of enabling hardware decoding by removing the need to disable the rdd sandbox
          Firefox 96 still needs both media.ffmpeg.vaapi.enabled and media.rdd-ffmpeg.enabled, while Firefox 97 will only need media.ffmpeg.vaapi.enabled: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Fir...o_acceleration
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            Speaking of WebP - does anyone know how to enable WebP support in Ubuntu 21.10 (kubuntu)? Firefox and such support it because they come with their own built-in WebP libraries. For example - Qt5 doesn't support WebP, but afaik used to.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxad0127 View Post
              Typo: "huge/whiteness/blackness" should say "hue".

Will the "video quality degradation fixes" stop Youtube from randomly downgrading videos and running "1080p auto" that is really 480 or worse?
              I don't have that issue in Firefox, and I've been using the beta channel for a few months now straight from the Mozilla site. I did have that issue in Falkon, but only after clearing the HTML5 cache.

Comment

Working...
              X