GNOME On Wayland Lands Improved Handling For Direct Scanout Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME On Wayland Lands Improved Handling For Direct Scanout Support

Phoronix: GNOME On Wayland Lands Improved Handling For Direct Scanout Support

Adding to the changes for GNOME 42 this spring is the Mutter Wayland compositor now taking into account sub-surfaces when determining direct scanout capabilities...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...urface-Scanout

What a bad name, whenever I read mutter I picture this:
    Mutter.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      What a bad name, whenever I read mutter I picture this:
      Mutter.jpg
      Its just the German word for Mother, and a nice word play of Metacity + Clutter equals Mutter.

Anyways, as always nice to have the best display server tricks on Gnome, a pleasure to use

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Anyways, as always nice to have the best display server tricks on Gnome, a pleasure to use
        Didn't know Gnome adopted Kwin.

Comment

My gaming experience on Overwatch at 250fps/240Hz on Gnome+Xwyland has been choppy (stutters and higher felt input lag) so far, when compared to LXQt+Open box+Xorg, on a 5700xt. Don't know if it's due to mutter or xwayland. Been trying from time to time to compare so I can use Gnome for gaming

Comment

Originally posted by AdelKS View Post
            My gaming experience on Overwatch at 250fps/240Hz on Gnome+Xwyland has been choppy (stutters and higher felt input lag) so far, when compared to LXQt+Open box+Xorg, on a 5700xt. Don't know if it's due to mutter or xwayland. Been trying from time to time to compare so I can use Gnome for gaming
            Have you gave it enough time to fill the shader cache? Overwatch is notorious for stuttering badly until it is completely full.

Comment

Originally posted by AdelKS View Post
              For me it's virtually no difference between LXDE/OB on X11 and GNOME Shell on X11, you will always have a tons of input lag on wayland, that's why it's still in unusable state. At this point, I suspect that really can't be fixed, it seems like the wayland protocol works in such a way that adds massive amount of input lag.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Have you gave it enough time to fill the shader cache? Overwatch is notorious for stuttering badly until it is completely full.
                I am a regular Overwatch player so my shader cache is properly populated. I think the issue I'm having lies somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post

For me it's virtually no difference between LXDE/OB on X11 and GNOME Shell on X11, you will always have a tons of input lag on wayland, that's why it's still in unusable state. At this point, I suspect that really can't be fixed, it seems like the wayland protocol works in such a way that adds massive amount of input lag.
                  I will have to try again Gnome on Xorg and see. Although I'd like to stick with Wayland.

Comment

how about fractional scaling ?

Comment

Working...
                    X