Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 42 Lands DMA-BUF Feedback Support For Better Multi-GPU, Proper Direct Scanout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    5.24 is a future version, so that's not out while you said "already supports it" which is wrong. And it's not clear if 5.24 will have all of that (like for non fullscreen case), just some which is still good.
    Gnome 42 (also a future version) will also only support fullscreen cases for now. Non-fullscreen may follow 43 or later.

Comment

5.24 is a future version, so that's not out while you said "already supports it" which is wrong. And it's not clear if 5.24 will have all of that (like for non fullscreen case), just some which is still good.
      No, it's correct what I said. Direct scanout was already implemented a year ago or so, it just stopped working with xwayland etc. due to buffer modifier situation. dmabuf-feedback just makes it work once again.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        No, it's correct what I said. Direct scanout was already implemented a year ago or so, it just stopped working with xwayland etc. due to buffer modifier situation. dmabuf-feedback just makes it work once again.
        Well, added but not working doesn't make it useful for the end user.

Comment

Well, added but not working doesn't make it useful for the end user.
          Guess why my first post in this thread explicitly mentioned 5.24. Hope this marks the end of this rather unfruitful discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
            Guess why my first post in this thread explicitly mentioned 5.24. Hope this marks the end of this rather unfruitful discussion.
            Well, I explicitly said I'm looking forward to it, meaning to something that works Not to something that's theoretically already there but not working

Comment

as long as I can get decent preformance I don't care if a laptop is mux or muxless. this might help bridge the gap just that bit more

Comment

Will this benefit multi GPU support for applications running native or in xwayland?
                For example, let's say I have both an Intel GPU + dedicated Nvidia GPU .
                Can I then select on which GPU I run my app?

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                  Will this benefit multi GPU support for applications running native or in xwayland?
                  For example, let's say I have both an Intel GPU + dedicated Nvidia GPU .
                  Can I then select on which GPU I run my app?
                  you can run your app on dedicated graphic by right clicking it.

Comment

5.24 is a future version, so that's not out while you said "already supports it" which is wrong.
                    So you mean KDE isn't open source and you can't compile 5.24 pre-releases? 'Cause last time I checked, you could do exactly that. So yeah, it *does* already support it if you use the latest and greatest.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

So you mean KDE isn't open source and you can't compile 5.24 pre-releases? 'Cause last time I checked, you could do exactly that. So yeah, it *does* already support it if you use the latest and greatest.
                      Pre-releases are still pre-releases, not releases When something is called supported it means release.

You could of course use early versions and what not. But that's a trade off in itself. They are not release versions for a reason.

So no, it's not supported. Yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X