Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PipeWire 0.3.43 Released With Many Fixes

Phoronix: PipeWire 0.3.43 Released With Many Fixes

2022 will hopefully be the year that PipeWire 0.3.43 becomes commonplace on desktop Linux distributions for managing both audio/video streams. New PipeWire releases come quick in working to address remaining gaps in this Red Hat led solution and ensuring it can fulfill the use-cases previously handled by the likes of PulseAudio and JACK...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When I replaced Pulse with PipeWire, I got a new option for output: ProAudio. The thing is, when I use it, I'm greeted with a lot of output devices (the number varies, seems to be between 2 and 6). Does anyone know whether that's intended? Or should I check my configuration?
    No fancy audio cards here, just your run of the mill on-board Realtek solution. And whatever output the video card provides, but I've never used that.

Comment

It would be so nice if Ubuntu 22.04 would switch to it and free us from having to install it ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        When I replaced Pulse with PipeWire, I got a new option for output: ProAudio. The thing is, when I use it, I'm greeted with a lot of output devices (the number varies, seems to be between 2 and 6). Does anyone know whether that's intended? Or should I check my configuration?
        No fancy audio cards here, just your run of the mill on-board Realtek solution. And whatever output the video card provides, but I've never used that.
        It shouldn't be random. ProAudio is intended to provide arbitrary amounts of channels for mixers and stuff instead of just assuming common channel layouts like mono, stereo, 4.1, 5.1, etc.

That's the only way my mixer shows all 8 capture channels and all 4 playback channels.

Comment

Many fixes to the PulseAudio server code, including lower memory usage and possible crash fixes.
          Blame me for pestering PW developers

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            Your general attitude makes people blame you for everything. Didn't you have enough?

But thanks, these problems can be hard to pin down most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Your general attitude makes people blame you for everything. Didn't you have enough?

But thanks, these problems can be hard to pin down most of the time.
              Amazing how thick you are at appreciating humor. I mean you didn't get the gist of it at all and instead of maybe thanking me, you just mounted an attack. There's something salty, angry and lacking confidence about Open Source fans, maybe it's down to feeling the need to defend a lousy OS with so many issues which is a pain to use. Comments like this make me want to pull out of Open Source altogether for fuck's sake. Damn. You help fix a major memory leak and you're getting panned for that. WTF?
              Last edited by birdie; 05 January 2022, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Amazing how thick you are at appreciating humor. I mean you didn't get the gist of it at all and instead of maybe thanking me, you just mounted an attack. There's something salty, angry and lacking confidence about Open Source fans, maybe it's down to feeling the need to defend a lousy OS with so many issues which is a pain to use. Comments like this make me want to pull out of Open Source altogether for fuck's sake. Damn. You help fix a major memory leak and you're getting panned for that. WTF?
                Couldn't have proved my point better if you tried.
                Note that I was both being sarcastic and I (genuinely) thanked you in my post.

Comment

Good shit.

Comment

I wonder when the counter-pipewire movement comes to life. What could it be, people favouring Pulse for arbitrary and mostly wrong reasons, a resurgence of directly using Also or maybe even a come back of OSS.

No doubt that the larger community is capable of at least creating a "Pulse is better" movement.

Comment

Working...
                    X