KDE Gets A 2022 Roadmap - Plasma Wayland To Shine, Updated Breeze Icons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

I'm not sure what you're referring to, if you mean your panel clock at the bottom right to show 24 hours instead of 12 then right-click on the clock -> Configure Digital Clock -> Time Display "24 Hour".
    Screenshot_20220103_161119.png
    Just goes to show how many different settings that KDE has...because that setting doesn't exist where I was looking...and it should.

System Settings >Regional Settings>Formats

Comment

Originally posted by henrik View Post
      NVIDIA on Wayland is not working until this is merged: https://invent.kde.org/qt/qt/qtwayla...ge_requests/24
      KDE/Nvidia was working fine for me yesterday: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20220101, nvidia 470.86, GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER, 4K + FHD monitors.

I'm not a full time wayland user, I'm not even a fan, I'm just kicking the tires to see if it is workable for me. The Wayland experience seems almost the same as X11, but more snappy. The normal stuff I use the desktop for seems to work. I'm not a gamer, mainly a developer. Most of my own Qt code works, but little tweaks are sometimes necessary. Wayland does not seem horrible, and if I'm ever forced to switch, I think I can make it work for me.

For my own purposes, one show stopper is annoying and seems non-trivial to fix "Session restoring does not include Wayland native windows" ( https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland_Showstoppers ).

The most notable bug I've seen is that the system-settings, panel and launcher stop working when applying some system-settings. For example, applying specific window-rules for an application. The application windows remain functional, so no work is lost.

The handling of DBUS desktop notifications seems a bit buggy, sometimes they may corrupt the desktop or other windows (Should that even be possible if the more secure Wayland environment?). In fairness I am running my own Qt applications that raise more notifications than normal ( https://github.com/digitaltrails/jouno and https://github.com/digitaltrails/procno )

Last edited by digitaltrails; 03 January 2022, 06:31 PM. Reason: Fix another typo

Comment

I don't really understand why XWayland windows are always upscaled from 1920x1080. What's the technical reason for that?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Why would you need a sound notification when you already have a visual one? Are you routinely connecting USB devices to your computer and not looking at the screen?

Fwiw, for every event (not just a newly added device) you are free to configure the types of notifications you want: pop-up, sound, log and more.
          For flaky connections. It's helpful to hear if your device disconnected, and even more helpful if you hear it connect by itself just a second later so you don't have to take care of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

For flaky connections. It's helpful to hear if your device disconnected, and even more helpful if you hear it connect by itself just a second later so you don't have to take care of it.
            I'd say the solution for that is to stop using iffy cables, but to each their own.

Comment

I'd say the solution for that is to stop using iffy cables, but to each their own.
              I have a USB micro SD card reader that can be really finicky with certain micro sd cards. San Disk reader and San Disk cards. No cables involved, just older micro sd cards in a brand new reader. When I'm trying to get those micro sd cards reading it'd be nice if I could hear it when it starts working instead of having to catch the visual pop-up out of the corner of my eye.

USB audio notification is one of the few differences between my Windows 10 and Manjaro P desktops. It might not seem like much, but it's a nice little quality of life feature that's easily taken for granted...plus it can be tied to success and error, connect and disconnect, mount and unmount sounds to improve KDE accessibility for the visually impaired.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I have a USB micro SD card reader that can be really finicky with certain micro sd cards. San Disk reader and San Disk cards. No cables involved, just older micro sd cards in a brand new reader. When I'm trying to get those micro sd cards reading it'd be nice if I could hear it when it starts working instead of having to catch the visual pop-up out of the corner of my eye.

USB audio notification is one of the few differences between my Windows 10 and Manjaro P desktops. It might not seem like much, but it's a nice little quality of life feature that's easily taken for granted...plus it can be tied to success and error, connect and disconnect, mount and unmount sounds to improve KDE accessibility for the visually impaired.
                As I said, you can configure it however you want. I actually tried to upload a screenshot, but I cannot figure out how, it uploads a tiny image instead

Comment

I believe that's being worked on. Somebody has asked before and if memory serves me well, ngraham replied that's on their table. Not sure how far they got since.
                  Doing that would break the XDG settings dir spec. Maybe what we could do is prefix all our config files with "kde_". So you would have "kde_dolphinrc" and "kde_plasmashellrc" and so on. Then at least all the KDE stuff would be grouped when sorted by name.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

It's the same old issue that needs changes in Xwayland, although GNOME managed to work around that issue. I wish KDE could, too. It's the last big missing feature imho (other than robustness, but it at least is getting there).
                    We are planning to adopt the same workaround if an upstream fix can't be merged in a timely manner.

Comment

Originally posted by digitaltrails View Post
                      The handling of DBUS desktop notifications seems a bit buggy, sometimes they may corrupt the desktop or other windows (Should that even be possible if the more secure Wayland environment?). In fairness I am running my own Qt applications that raise more notifications than normal
                      You are correct that should not be the case. Do open a file a bug. https://bugs.kde.org/

Comment

Working...
                      X