KDE Gets A 2022 Roadmap - Plasma Wayland To Shine, Updated Breeze Icons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
    Waiting for the day when I see a distro with KDE that doesn't have such horrible fonts or a garbage font rendering. The worst thing is that KDE is a complete mess in this regard, being even worse than Gnome.

Never had such problems. Mine were always sharp and crisp, way more than with any Gnome based.

Comment

Originally posted by Firnefex View Post
      Never had such problems. Mine were always sharp and crisp, way more than with any Gnome based.
      He's just trolling, both Gnome and KDE use HarfBuzz for rendering text. Whatever differences he may have spotted can surely be worked around by changing a setting or two. But if he's coming from Gnome, he may not know about settings

Comment

Originally posted by dremon_nl View Post
        Wayland can only be usable when X11 apps running under XWayland are not blurry on scaled HiDPI displays.
        In many DE's you cannot really tell the difference between native Wayland and XWayland.
        This is unfortunate so KDE introduced this feature where XWayland apps are slightly blurred. Now the users can always tell what protocol an app uses and behave accordingly.

Comment

I would also agree, one thing that always stuck out for me with any KDE install was that they had a good font choice for system font, not so much for Gnome (for my tastes at least.) Now if they could create some sub-folders under ~/.config for all their configuration files, maybe they could be onto something.

Comment

Same here. The rendering is always sharp and crisp, unlike GNOME which I never could get right, even with extensive (!) tweaking.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

In many DE's you cannot really tell the difference between native Wayland and XWayland.
              This is unfortunate so KDE introduced this feature where XWayland apps are slightly blurred. Now the users can always tell what protocol an app uses and behave accordingly.
              I cannot see the difference on 2560x1440. Maybe it's noticeable on 4K, though.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
                Now if they could create some sub-folders under ~/.config for all their configuration files, maybe they could be onto something.
                I believe that's being worked on. Somebody has asked before and if memory serves me well, ngraham replied that's on their table. Not sure how far they got since.

Comment

Am I the only one who wants a new device plug in/out sound for USB? And who knows, maybe in the future, a KDeviceManager😁

Comment

Originally posted by lolren View Post
                    Am I the only one who wants a new device plug in/out sound for USB? And who knows, maybe in the future, a KDeviceManager😁
                    Why would you need a sound notification when you already have a visual one? Are you routinely connecting USB devices to your computer and not looking at the screen?

Fwiw, for every event (not just a newly added device) you are free to configure the types of notifications you want: pop-up, sound, log and more.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

It's the same old issue that needs changes in Xwayland, although GNOME managed to work around that issue. I wish KDE could, too. It's the last big missing feature imho (other than robustness, but it at least is getting there).

Comment

Working...
                      X