No announcement yet.

KDE Gets A 2022 Roadmap - Plasma Wayland To Shine, Updated Breeze Icons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[523838.181780] kwin_wayland[56402]: segfault at 440000009c ip 000000440000009c sp 00007ffd56fe4038 error 14 in kwin_wayland[55637370b000+28000]

Well, f**k. That didn't take long. Not even been using it a week.

Trying to get serious work done under a wayland compositor is like placing it below a very large axe suspended from the ceiling by a frayed thread that could snap at any moment. The threat of complete destruction is looming constantly.

I could forgive this if wayland were still in its early stages, but it's not, in fact at this point it's now 75% the age of the X.org server, and still less reliable than both it and Windows 98 combined.

This is exactly why I have put off switching to wayland for so long, and would have continued to do so if not forced into it by new hardware where Xorg is just as bad.

It strikes me as insane that not only are the robustness patches taking so long to trickle down, but that they weren't written 10 years ago.
    Last edited by ⲣⲂaggins; 09 January 2022, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ⲣⲂaggins View Post
      This is exactly why I have put off switching to wayland for so long, and would have continued to do so if not forced into it by new hardware where Xorg is just as bad.

It strikes me as insane that not only are the robustness patches taking so long to trickle down, but that they weren't written 10 years ago.
      There is a few points. The idea of robustness that the application can out live the server/compositor first appears for X11 in the 1980s. So Xorg on modern hardware being bad should not be a problem if robustness had been done in the 1980s as well.

There has been a on going problem of implementing features ahead of implementing robustness in the graphical space on Linux/Unix/BSD.

Comment

@ngraham Is there a plan to address any of these: https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland_Showstoppers

Without these, I don't see myself using wayland as daily driver anytime soon.

Comment

Wayland is still too unstable for me on KDE Plasma. I mean, I can use it, but it often fails/crashes applications and it gets annoying. No real rush to adopt it fully, since it offers nothing for me personally over what X does already.

Comment

Working...
          X