Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
    Citation needed.
    Citation? It is my experience. I have upgraded Ubuntu from one version to another and suddenly Libre Office Icons disappeared and I had to change the icons theme...

I googled a bit and it looks like I'm not the only one impacted by such behaviour: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1283...-icons-kubuntu

I'm not against theming - I think that having single, decent and agreed reference (set of reference themes) wouldn't hurt - like Android, iOS, Windows.
    What is sad is that most of the successful apps I use have their own themes: Firefox, IntelliJ, Visual Studio Code, Spotify and Chrome.

I also think that Gnome should be able to manage their own brand and if others want to customize it beyond what Gnome allows they should fork/rename it and don't call it Gnome - my view as well. If distribution has resources to do QA of each application with different theme I also don't see why it shouldn't be allowed to do so. However if they change app design then I guess they should change its name as well...

gcalc -> ubuntucalc

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

By we, you mean you who choose to post on a topic you care less and yet think the world evolved around your view. Strongly suggest to full read the details about libadwaita without your own bias and with an open minded approach. Until then, avoid posting when you have nothing to contribute.
      I'm a programmer who switched away from GTK because it's becoming increasingly less "the toolkit you can use to target all DEs and expect it to be already installed".

I'm a user who spent years on LXDE after KDE 4.0 dropped the ball and switched away from GTK apps as GTK 3.x started to push more and more GNOME 3.x-isms, even onto non-GNOME apps.

As either, I came to Linux for its customizability when I got fed up with beating Windows XP into shape.

Which of these isn't relevant?

Comment

Originally posted by grung View Post

Citation? It is my experience. I have upgraded Ubuntu from one version to another and suddenly Libre Office Icons disappeared and I had to change the icons theme...

I googled a bit and it looks like I'm not the only one impacted by such behaviour: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1283...-icons-kubuntu
        That's a LibreOffice bug through and through.

The spec for icon theming explicitly says that, if you use icons that aren't part of the set defined in the XDG Icon Naming Specification, you're supposed to install your preferred fallbacks into a special icon theme named hicolor, which the lookup must fall back to, similar to fallback when looking up font glyphs.

APIs in toolkits like Qt and GTK provide an argument to the "get icon" method for a bundled icon to be used when the system comes up empty. It's primarily intended for Windows and macOS, but also applies in this case.

That's two different points at which LibreOffice could have recovered if they'd been using things as intended.

I'm not against theming - I think that having single, decent and agreed reference (set of reference themes) wouldn't hurt - like Android, iOS, Windows.
        What is sad is that most of the successful apps I use have their own themes: Firefox, IntelliJ, Visual Studio Code, Spotify and Chrome.
        Granted, four of those are Chrome/Electron and Firefox, and the fifth is Java... all of which leaned hard on a "Look the same on all platforms, no matter how disharmonious with the rest of the platform it turns out to be" philosophy.

I also think that Gnome should be able to manage their own brand and if others want to customize it beyond what Gnome allows they should fork/rename it and don't call it Gnome - my view as well. If distribution has resources to do QA of each application with different theme I also don't see why it shouldn't be allowed to do so. However if they change app design then I guess they should change its name as well...

gcalc -> ubuntucalc

My main problem with it is that they spent over a decade building up the expectation that people could rely on GTK as a universal platform for Linux application development and now they're doubling down on "You don't want to follow along with GNOME? Tough luck. We're not gonna maintain the level of support we used to for use-cases outside our vision, and we're not gonna pay to have your application ported to something else either."

That's why you see so much grumbling as more and more people bite the bullet and swallow the cost of finding and migrating their efforts to alternatives to GTK and GNOME. (As I've mentioned before, LXDE/LXQt, Audacious, Subsurface, Solus, Budgie, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
          Functionality that they don't want/use in GNOME Shell itself has repeatedly been removed specifically BECAUSE it was allowing other DEs to deviate from the GNOME "vision" of what a UI should be.
          This claim doesn't make much sense because GNOME Shell (and Mutter) itself doesn't use GTK. It uses ST which is a layer over Clutter.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Eclipse originated the SWT widget toolkit. SWT's big advantage over Swing on Linux is wxWidgets-like support for delegating to GTK for drawing.
            It's still not a first class citizen. They have to adapt to each change in gtk.

Comment

Working...
            X