OpenRGB 0.7 Released With Many More Devices Supported, Improved Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenRGB 0.7 Released With Many More Devices Supported, Improved Settings

Phoronix: OpenRGB 0.7 Released With Many More Devices Supported, Improved Settings

OpenRGB 0.7 is out as the newest feature release for this vendor-independent software that provides for RGB lighting controls for many different devices/brands and works across Linux / macOS / Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This Project gained quite some traction recently.

Comment

I am not a rgb guy but I heard that rgb control softwares from brands like corsair weight more than 3 gb on the disk (probably the worst code you can ever imagine in your nightmares’ nightmares).
      So that might be interesting for anyone using leds just to get something of better quality than the official tools.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
        I am not a rgb guy but I heard that rgb control softwares from brands like corsair weight more than 3 gb on the disk (probably the worst code you can ever imagine in your nightmares’ nightmares).
        So that might be interesting for anyone using leds just to get something of better quality than the official tools.
        I know that some of my Windows tools are hundreds of megabytes just for 0-255 sliders. I blame every tool shipping their GUI framework.

Comment

It is great to see this project really take off. Hope this wakes up more hardware manufactures into providing better/quicker support of OpenRGB.

Comment

Basically it worked with Corsair keyboard, mouse and RAM, but just für keyboard+mouse it does not really have got much potential I think. ckb-next is much better suited for this. Only simple tasks worked well, like single color selection. The problem I see with the animated variants for RAM is that it seems to be completely out of sync - basically you don't need any software running if you just want to see a color animation but if you do that with Windows it is in sync. iCUE is very huge and sometimes really bad - especially if you need to manually uninstall it because it does not want to update anymore. But for just one color for all it seems to be a nice tool - same color for all with 1 click is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Basically it worked with Corsair keyboard, mouse and RAM, but just für keyboard+mouse it does not really have got much potential I think. ckb-next is much better suited for this. Only simple tasks worked well, like single color selection. The problem I see with the animated variants for RAM is that it seems to be completely out of sync - basically you don't need any software running if you just want to see a color animation but if you do that with Windows it is in sync. iCUE is very huge and sometimes really bad - especially if you need to manually uninstall it because it does not want to update anymore. But for just one color for all it seems to be a nice tool - same color for all with 1 click is nice.
              To keep the program lightweight, I chose not to include an effects engine in OpenRGB itself. The program by itself can only select between the effects built into hardware (modes) and set static colors. However, OpenRGB provides a network-based SDK as well as a plugin API to allow other programs to control the lighting. With these, synchronized effects are possible.

The recommended effects solution is the OpenRGB Effects Plugin: https://gitlab.com/OpenRGBDevelopers...BEffectsPlugin. Download the build for your OS, extract it, then install it from Settings > Plugins in OpenRGB. It adds a new tab in OpenRGB called Effects, and all of these effects are generated PC-side and synchronized across all selected devices. For effects to work, devices must have a "Direct" mode, otherwise you risk wearing out the flash memory as some devices store every update to non-volatile memory (flash) which wears over rapidly repeated updates.

There are implementations of the OpenRGB SDK in most programming languages if you wish to create your own effects.

Comment

Working...
              X