LibreOffice 7.3 RC1 Available For Testing This Open-Source Office Suite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    I think most code changes get applied to both.
    Lolwut

Comment

LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice from when Apache changed the licence. They are pretty similar IIRC. I think most code changes get applied to both.
      No, LibreOffice is actively maintained with two features releases every year and a bugfix release every month.

OpenOffice IS dead. However, a handful of OpenOffice "developers" (did I really say that?) try to create the impression that OpenOffice would be still alive. Have a look at the release notes of both products! If you stumble upon "fixed bugs" like
      Code:
      "Changed copyright year to 2021"
      you know you are looking at OpenOffice.
      Last edited by Go_Vulkan; 27 December 2021, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Lolwut
        The only difference is that Open Office switched to using the Apache license when it became part of the Apache foundation, whereas LibreOffice still uses MIT/MPL/GPLv2 that OpenOffice had before Sun transferred the source code.

I really don't know wtf you are talking about. The licenses are actually compatible so you'll notice that new features are added to both branches (there was a time when there was also Java license difference, but the Java requirement was stripped out a while ago).

Comment

LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice from when Apache changed the licence. They are pretty similar IIRC. I think most code changes get applied to both.
          IIRC, LibreOffice descends from Go-OO. I was following along back then...

Comment

Originally posted by cmsigler View Post

IIRC, LibreOffice descends from Go-OO. I was following along back then...
            Maybe. Wikipedia says:

LibreOffice (/ˈliːbrə/)[a] is a free and open-source office productivity software suite, a project of The Document Foundation (TDF). It was forked in 2010 from OpenOffice.org, an open-sourced version of the earlier StarOffice.

If I remember, the Apache group wanted to create a commercial version of OpenOffice, so they trademarked it. If it was successful, it would have been like Chrome/Chromium and Firefox/Iceweasel.

It never caught on, and I just switched to LibreOffice with everyone else. The idea sucked, and there was not enough value add (brand name recognition for Firefox, Google integration for Chrome).

In any case, LibreOffice just added the about text "Personal Edition. Unsupported for use in Enterprise environments", so the people with bad ideas seem to still be around somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by gnarlin View Post
              The most common complaint that I hear and read about is that LibreOffice isn't compatible enough with MS Office and more specifically doesn't support Excel spreadsheets well. Is there any actual data on compatibility or is this just something that people experienced 10-20 years ago with OpenOffice back in the day and now carry that belief today?
              Even a couple of years ago, the compatibility with MS Office formatted documents was not very good. This new LibreOffice 7.3 has much better compatibility. Unless you are opening a spreadsheet with custom macros, you should be able to use it without making more than a few small formatting changes to an Excel spreadsheet.

Comment

The only difference is that Open Office switched to using the Apache license when it became part of the Apache foundation, whereas LibreOffice still uses MIT/MPL/GPLv2 that OpenOffice had before Sun transferred the source code.

I really don't know wtf you are talking about. The licenses are actually compatible so you'll notice that new features are added to both branches (there was a time when there was also Java license difference, but the Java requirement was stripped out a while ago).
                Your posts kind of prove my points exactly. Maybe fast-forward that version history a bit? You might even realize the version numbering has changed between the two. These don't look exactly the same to me at least: https://i.postimg.cc/Vmv3T4MB/diff.png

Comment

Personal editon is no problem!

They just want to prevent these support posts like "I have a commercial installation which 30,000 users which is 5 years old. We dont have a support contract so tell me how to upgrade my 30,000 installations! Free of charge of course! Immediately!"

Comment

In any case, LibreOffice just added the about text "Personal Edition. Unsupported for use in Enterprise environments", so the people with bad ideas seem to still be around somewhere...
                    You obviously have no idea, or were perhaps in a comma for a decade.

Comment

..is LibreOffice java based running in a vm?

Comment

Working...
                      X