Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enlightenment 0.25 Released With Improvements To This Lightweight Window Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment 0.25 Released With Improvements To This Lightweight Window Manager

Phoronix: Enlightenment 0.25 Released With Improvements To This Lightweight Window Manager

Carsten Haitzler released a new version of the Enlightenment window manager / shell (and Wayland compositor) for Christmas. Various Enlightenment components have also seen new releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What utter garbage

We waited a decade for them to release a complete and usable desktop and after all their lies about it, we got nothing. Eventually all of their user base moved on, Enlighenment became a footnote in the history of desktop environments.

Now it is too little too late.

Comment

Yep, unfortunately E never picked up common usability improvements which were available since GNOME1 AND KDE1 nor they provided adequate default configuration.
      Every time I've tried to run it since E16 I left with feeling of the utter incompleteness.

Comment

Flat theme? Why the heck should that be an improvement?

Comment

Looks great. I can't wait to try it out.

Comment

EFL and E just get better and better. Awesome job!

Comment

Never really liked the desktop in itself, and there are reasons EFL didn't really pick up as a toolkit too.

I'd like to see it more competitive though.

What happened to EFL2? Thought they (with Samsung) started working on it back in 2018?

Comment

I've tried Enlightenment before a few times, seemed to a lot of eye candy, but never really did it for me. Then again, same for a lot of the desktop environments. For me, design and aesthetics have been one of the week spots for Linux. Poor fonts, not always the best design.

On a plus note, I have been building up a Sway based install (am I virtue signaling here?), recently also installed Hikari (another wlroots Wayland compositor/WM kind of built in the FreeBSD camp but in Fedora repos), and I am seeing what could be possible for a lightweight shell with simple text-based configuration that otherwise gets out of the way. I believe we are getting there. I understand that most "normal" users need a full DE, but this is pretty cool to see. Something between a super lightweight WM and full blown DE, maybe built out reusable and composable parts. My thinking at the moment at least.
                Last edited by ehansin; 27 December 2021, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
                  What utter garbage

We waited a decade for them to release a complete and usable desktop and after all their lies about it, we got nothing. Eventually all of their user base moved on, Enlighenment became a footnote in the history of desktop environments.

Now it is too little too late.
                  That's the danger of completely starting over with a project.

Comment

What a waste of code.

Comment

Working...
                    X