Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enlightenment 0.25 Released With Improvements To This Lightweight Window Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment 0.25 Released With Improvements To This Lightweight Window Manager

Phoronix: Enlightenment 0.25 Released With Improvements To This Lightweight Window Manager

Carsten Haitzler released a new version of the Enlightenment window manager / shell (and Wayland compositor) for Christmas. Various Enlightenment components have also seen new releases...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ghtenment-0.25

What utter garbage

We waited a decade for them to release a complete and usable desktop and after all their lies about it, we got nothing. Eventually all of their user base moved on, Enlighenment became a footnote in the history of desktop environments.

Now it is too little too late.

Comment

Yep, unfortunately E never picked up common usability improvements which were available since GNOME1 AND KDE1 nor they provided adequate default configuration.
      Every time I've tried to run it since E16 I left with feeling of the utter incompleteness.

Comment

Flat theme? Why the heck should that be an improvement?

Comment

Looks great. I can't wait to try it out.

Comment

EFL and E just get better and better. Awesome job!

Comment

Never really liked the desktop in itself, and there are reasons EFL didn't really pick up as a toolkit too.

I'd like to see it more competitive though.

What happened to EFL2? Thought they (with Samsung) started working on it back in 2018?

Comment

I've tried Enlightenment before a few times, seemed to a lot of eye candy, but never really did it for me. Then again, same for a lot of the desktop environments. For me, design and aesthetics have been one of the week spots for Linux. Poor fonts, not always the best design.

On a plus note, I have been building up a Sway based install (am I virtue signaling here?), recently also installed Hikari (another wlroots Wayland compositor/WM kind of built in the FreeBSD camp but in Fedora repos), and I am seeing what could be possible for a lightweight shell with simple text-based configuration that otherwise gets out of the way. I believe we are getting there. I understand that most "normal" users need a full DE, but this is pretty cool to see. Something between a super lightweight WM and full blown DE, maybe built out reusable and composable parts. My thinking at the moment at least.
                Last edited by ehansin; 27 December 2021, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
                  What utter garbage

We waited a decade for them to release a complete and usable desktop and after all their lies about it, we got nothing. Eventually all of their user base moved on, Enlighenment became a footnote in the history of desktop environments.

Now it is too little too late.
                  That's the danger of completely starting over with a project.

Comment

What a waste of code.

Comment

Working...
                    X