No announcement yet.

KDE Prepares More Crash Fixes Ahead Of The Holidays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish Linus had tried right-clicking a media file on smb share and playing with mpv just to be met with KIO horrible deficiency of having to copy gigabytes of video file to ~/.cache before a video can be played. Maybe this would finally get a ball rolling +17 year old KIO bug 75324 – Integrate KIO Slaves into file system using FUSE gateway (kde.org).

People here rave about KDE, when in truth it looks and works like crap and fails to accomplish basic tasks. Typical bug fixes include "Something no longer sometime crashes anymore when you do X or Y". I have big hopes CuteFish can fix some KDE UI ugliness and work stemming from KwinFT & Valve can find its way upstream.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
      I wish Linus had tried right-clicking a media file on smb share and playing with mpv just to be met with KIO horrible deficiency of having to copy gigabytes of video file to ~/.cache before a video can be played. Maybe this would finally get a ball rolling +17 year old KIO bug 75324 – Integrate KIO Slaves into file system using FUSE gateway (kde.org).
      Works with kio-fuse installed...

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post

The fact that dolphin doesn't run as root has some security-reasoning i personally never really fully understood myself.
        Dolphin can be used as root on opensuse. But on other distros it should also be possible with
        Code:
        kdesu dolphin
        for example. Different distros use different ways to run gui applications.

Anyway, maybe I'm old, I still do not prefer to run GUI applications with root privilages.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

as a proud linux community member, i was dying inside watching linus using KDE. I feel like being killed by 1000 papercuts, i don't even use the thing.
          I must have been enjoying KDE only because I didn't watch that guy, I guess

Comment

KDE folks are glossing over mistakes shown on linus video with news bombardments.
            Yeah, sure, except that it's literally the second sentence in ngraham's post.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
              That bug report is closed because the issue has been fixed. It's working perfectly for me. If it's not working for you with kio-fuse installed (which is the thing that fixed it), then you're welcome to file a bug report about it and we'll take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by rapiteanu View Post
                Regarding the root access in Dolphin. That's a limitation in KIO that's currently being worked on: https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/ki...e_requests/143
                Really? I recall it was a design choice. Running Dolphin and Kate as root worked perfectly fine until the devs decided to block it. Everyone askimg for it to be put back were told it won’t happen due to security reasons.

There are patches to restore the code that was removed:

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post

Really? I recall it was a design choice. Running Dolphin and Kate as root worked perfectly fine until the devs decided to block it. Everyone askimg for it to be put back were told it won’t happen due to security reasons.

There are patches to restore the code that was removed:

It never was a design choice, they removed the ability because the implementation at the time wasn't ideal (i.e. there was security flaws). The intention is to put the functionality back in once its working and up to par.

Comment

nah, petty bugfixes aren't newsworthy that's why gnome don't report it. Meaningful improvement is newsworthy that's why they report those.

I said this before, but KDE folks are glossing over mistakes shown on linus video with news bombardments. So someone like michael could report it.
                    Funny, I see it the other way around. I use KDE as a daily driver since years now and little bugs crop up in many places (very small bugs, nothing blocking for sure). Looking at what get fixed gives me a feeling of how things improve and how to set my expectation to the next Debain release (I use debian stable and its KDE version)

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

It never was a design choice
                      Nope, it actually was a design coice. To not run gui application as root(Due to security reasons inherit from running gui's as root, not any spesifics.). The new way uses polikit to escalate privilegies when required and keeping the gui as non root.

Comment

Working...
                      X