No announcement yet.

GNOME 42 To Finally Allow Input Events To Happen Full-Rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the original behaviour actually is the right choice to some extent, but the synchronization method is too primitive. I would appreciate input devices being capable of polling at an integer multiple of the display refresh rate.

​​​​​​I guess it's still better, given the way input devices work right now, to implement your own input vs. display filtering at the application level.
    Last edited by microcode; 10 December 2021, 09:40 AM.

Comment

I wonder if there is some way to limit the update frequency still. 60 Hz is clearly a bit low for many use cases, but on the other hand, nobody *really* needs 1 kHz or beyond and will just consume additional cpu cycles and power. 250 Hz or something along those lines would be plenty already, it would be cool if you could enforce such a middle-ground update rate with mice.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

You remind me of 144Hz, btw what happened to him?
        Konqi disliked his GNOME trolling, so he ate him for breakfast.
        Last edited by Vistaus; 10 December 2021, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
          nobody *really* needs 1 kHz or beyond and will just consume additional cpu cycles and power. 250 Hz or something along those lines would be plenty already, it would be cool if you could enforce such a middle-ground update rate with mice.
          There is a significant measured improvement in input latency with higher polling rates, you can look it up. Forcing some arbitrary value just to save a tiny number cpu cycles of modern beast machines by default, which are more than capable of doing it, is really what "nobody really needs". In addition, there are already 390Hz monitors in the wild, so 250 Hz mouse input will be jittery.

Comment

this is why people who defend gnome are full of shit
            they been full of shit for 42 versions already

and people wonder why linux on steam stagnates and no game dev take this paltform seriously

bunch of clueless people working on gnome and linux desktop in general

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
              this is why people who defend gnome are full of shit
              they been full of shit for 42 versions already
              maybe those people just have faster monitors?
              Originally posted by Scellow View Post
              and people wonder why linux on steam stagnates and no game dev take this paltform seriously
              so you are saying that linux is just half as good as macos?

Comment

Originally posted by WebMac View Post
                How is KDE Plasma handling this? Is it possible to use a mouse like the Razer Viper 8khz with 8.000 Hz on KDE?
                I wonder how kernel handles it. Not sure it handles it at 8KHz rate, I mean, maybe there is some sort of timer, which grabs mouse input at constant frequency
                Last edited by RedEyed; 12 January 2022, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RedEyed View Post

I wonder how kernel handles it. Not sure it handles it at 8KHz rate, I mean, maybe there is some sort of timer, which grabs mouse input at constant frequency
                  usbhid parameters mousepoll jspoll kbpoll specify the polling interval.
                  from include/linux/usb.h:
                  Code:
                  @interval: Specifies the polling interval for interrupt or isochronous
                    transfers. The units are frames (milliseconds) for full and low
                    speed devices, and microframes (1/8 millisecond) for highspeed
                    and SuperSpeed devices.
                  So kernel parameter usbhid.mousepoll=1 gives 1/8ms polling interval for highspeed and SuperSpeed mice.

also, include/linux/usb.h:
                  Code:
                   Note that High Speed and SuperSpeed(+) interrupt endpoints use a logarithmic
                   encoding of the endpoint interval, and express polling intervals in
                   microframes (eight per millisecond) rather than in frames (one per
                   millisecond).

Wireless USB also uses the logarithmic encoding, but specifies it in units of
                   128us instead of 125us. For Wireless USB devices, the interval is passed
                   through to the host controller, rather than being translated into microframe
                   units.

Comment

Originally posted by Sami View Post

usbhid parameters mousepoll jspoll kbpoll specify the polling interval.
                    from include/linux/usb.h:
                    Code:
                    @interval: Specifies the polling interval for interrupt or isochronous
                    transfers. The units are frames (milliseconds) for full and low
                    speed devices, and microframes (1/8 millisecond) for highspeed
                    and SuperSpeed devices.
                    So kernel parameter usbhid.mousepoll=1 gives 1/8ms polling interval for highspeed and SuperSpeed mice.

also, include/linux/usb.h:
                    Code:
                    Note that High Speed and SuperSpeed(+) interrupt endpoints use a logarithmic
                    encoding of the endpoint interval, and express polling intervals in
                    microframes (eight per millisecond) rather than in frames (one per
                    millisecond).

Wireless USB also uses the logarithmic encoding, but specifies it in units of
                    128us instead of 125us. For Wireless USB devices, the interval is passed
                    through to the host controller, rather than being translated into microframe
                    units.
                    Thank you for detailed response!

So, it means, that the highest refresh rate is 1 / 125us = 8 kHz
                    Which some razor mouse provide (I remember there was article about that here)
                    Now I see that it's possible, I just had doubts that kernel input handles 8 kHz

Comment

Working...
                    X