No announcement yet.

GNOME 42 To Finally Allow Input Events To Happen Full-Rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which can be anywhere from around 30 to 144 events per second depending upon display.
    Is that meant more as an example, or is there something limited at 144 Hz?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Finally. Can't believe it took GNOME this long.

Now if only libinput devs would remove "your system is too slow" during delayed event processing in libinput...
      I disable that libinput behavior with a file like this for my mouse:

Code:
      $ cat /etc/libinput/local-overrides.quirks
      [Logitech G305]
      MatchName=Logitech G305
      ModelBouncingKeys=1
      That "ModelBouncingKeys" thing is what's changing the behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post
        GNOME 42 is going to be the biggest update in years. Even bigger than GNOME 40.
        Do you have a few examples of this?

Input handling, gtk4 trickling in perhaps?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

You remind me of 144Hz, btw what happened to him?
          Oh man that is one tag that has been missing for a while... but to be honest not missed.

With regards to Gnome though, I will have to give it another go once 42 comes out. I must admit I find it very painful to use compared to KDE but as all things Linux, this is a personal choice. KDE seems to be much easier to configure and more flexible.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Cheers
            If all goes well GNOME 42 should include libadwaita. Not sure if they're going to enable color accents for global theming, but a dark mode maybe? These things were still WIP last I checked.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Cheers
              • New folder icons on Nautilus (which I'm not really a fan of, but we'll see).
              • Most GNOME apps are being ported to GTK4. Some apps haven't finished their port yet (like Settings) and some apps have already merged it (like Calculator, and you can see the finished work here). This is a pretty huge work, as almost everything is getting a facelift this release.
              • The new screenshot UI is almost finished, too.
              • GNOME Text Editor is being developed as the replacement of gedit, and GtkSourceView is being updated as well.
              • Libadwaita improvements, such as the new recoloring API. Here's how Text Editor looks like when recoloring is enabled.
              There are probably more changes I can't remember, but those are the ones I'm more excited about!

Comment

And knowing how GNOME devs are, these patches wouldn't make it upstream without a lengthy argument, so there's no point on doing that.

Here is proof: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libin...t/-/issues/613
                I guess the best thing to do for you is to refer you to the FQA https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libi...o-slow-warning

Comment

i'm really happy about this. i use a ducky feather white edition with kalih switches and it has physical switches for polling rate, lod distance, etc. i've been setting it to 125hz to not have any input problems but its going to be really nice setting it back up to 1000hz.

now if gnome can finish adding freesync support in wayland i can enable freesync again on my monitor...

Comment

Now if only libinput devs would remove "your system is too slow" during delayed event processing in libinput...
                    No I would not remove this message from libinput. This message should only be printed if the Wayland compositor or X11 server is processing input events in a timely way. This "your system is too slow" message is not a wayland unique message people think it is because there have been wayland compositors not doing their job well.

Comment

Originally posted by indepe View Post

Is that meant more as an example, or is there something limited at 144 Hz?
                      It's meant as an example (even in the source blogpost itself). If you have a 165 Hz display (or 170 or 240 or whatever), than that's the upper limit.

Comment

Working...
                      X