Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Call For KDE To Fully Embrace Simplicity By Default, Appeal To More Novice Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Henk717 View Post
    The issue i have with Gnome is that its an absolute hassle to do anything powerful, they overdid the simplicity and alienation of the workflow.
    I agree that GNOME, generally speaking, is awful for power users, but it does kinda depend on the app. gThumb, for example, is more powerful than Gwenview if you actually open the settings and enable some of its plugins *and* actually click the button to open the image manipulation panel (which also boasts a lot more features than Gwenview).

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
      KDE has always been about configurability and a myriad of tweaks, do not throw the baby out with the bathwater and make this some sort of desktop environment for the technically clueless
      I hear you and I assure you that we won't! Over my dead body!

Comment

KDE 3 and 4 was a mess, KDE 5 improved a lot.

But yeah, look at GNOME settings, really basic and well organized, a newbie doesn't need anything more.

Click with the right button on the desktop, you will see things that don't need to be in here.

It has some weird default options, like one click to open folders (IDK if it still the default), and some widgets like that circle on the upper right corner.

Comment

I’ve been using TwisterOS on my raspberry. You can select an overall theme – Mac, Windows, etc. KDE could make an ‘original KDE’ option for power users, and let noobs select what they want. I’ve never owned a Mac, but I do like the global menu.

And there are some aesthetics they could fix, too. This always bugs me - why do I have to select ‘KTerminal’ on the menu? I think it is ugly cognitive noise, and it’s the main reason I don’t use KDE. It isn’t necessary - ElementaryOS shows ‘Terminal’ in the menu, but runs pantheon-terminal.

Comment

This is my message to KDE.

If you're going to embrace simplicity by default, please don't drop settings. Its extensive customizability is what made KDE unique and solid for years, and dropping such a thing would make it lose its original feel.

Thank you.
            Last edited by tildearrow; 30 November 2021, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scirocco View Post
              Well kde is for power users, they need to make some radical changes for it to be beginner friendly, for ex making windows key actually open the menu like most people expect to begin with.
              You aren´t a Plasma user right? windows key opens the menu already.

Comment

Originally posted by fagnerln View Post
                KDE 3 and 4 was a mess, KDE 5 improved a lot.

But yeah, look at GNOME settings, really basic and well organized, a newbie doesn't need anything more.

Click with the right button on the desktop, you will see things that don't need to be in here.

It has some weird default options, like one click to open folders (IDK if it still the default), and some widgets like that circle on the upper right corner.
                The circle on the upper right is not there anymore.

Comment

Chasing after noobs as a desktop environment honestly isn't going to change anything as far as desktop market share goes. Someone with little computer skill isn't going to install a new OS onto his computer, and if someone does it for him, it is likely they'll just dump a default install of Ubuntu on him, in which case he won't be using KDE.

Red Hat and Canonical are deeply invested into GNOME, so no matter how good or not KDE might be, they're not going to drop GNOME in order to support KDE. This means that not only must the proposed noob install an alternative operating system, but they also must install an alternative desktop environment on these systems, which account for most of the market. Needless to say our noob won't be doing that.

That said Valve clearly thinks that KDE is noob friendly right now which is why they chose it as their desktop for SteamOS 3.0, to launch with their first actual SteamOS product, and there's plenty of video evidence on youtube to demonstrate that the technically illiterate don't really have a problem with KDE and even in the case of a famous ZDNet video they were able to be tricked into thinking it was Windows 7 during the KDE 4.x days.

This isn't to say it can't be improved, but within the tech industry there's an epidemic of underestimating what our noobs are actually capable of, and an overestimation of how we can influence them to use our choice. If people were as illiterate as we like to pretend then they would be unable to use Windows, which is clearly not the case. At the same time as long as standard desktop Linux is only available by default on a handful of power user and developer targeted computers and niche devices, it really honestly doesn't matter how friendly it is towards people who aren't power users or developers, because people outside those groups aren't going to use them. The SteamDeck is really the first foray into something targeting the average consumer that is actually running standard desktop Linux, but even then is our proposed user going to ever take a step into Plasma? Probably not unless it's by accident. Even so he's not going to go "Oh this sucks I'm going to install GNOME".

Again not saying things can't be improved but hold no delusions that by doing this that KDE will be gaining any marketshare whatsoever in the way you desire. In order for that to occur we need to reach the point first where not only is Linux a mainstream option on consumer grade hardware, but with different desktops available by default on different hardware and these particular users choosing with their wallet which one they want. Even were Valve to be wildly successful and create the Linux Desktop revolution, that kind of market is probably at least another 10 years out from the physical launch of the SteamDeck.

Comment

Something that not enough people bring up is application names.

What the hell is Kate, for example? Why isn't it called anything even remotely recognizable as a text editor? This whole thing where everything starts with K is Kool and all but it doesn't do wonders for newbies.

That's not just KDE. GIMP is another example.
                    ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
                      They need contract equips of designers to make a goddamn good and polished default UI.
                      ?? Whut

Comment

Working...
                      X