Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Squashes Many "Annoying" Bugs As It Works To Improve The Desktop's Reliability.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sheldonl
    replied
    Originally posted by BangoMopar View Post

Activities fit my use case perfectly. Work apps / wallpaper / widgets on the Work Activity, Steam and Gaming stuff on Gaming, Multimedia (Plex, Elisa, qBitorrent etc) on it's activity. I think Activities get no love simply because people don't understand the difference between virtual desktops and activities. Of course, back when KDE came with pre-made templates it was an easier concept to understand.
    Works for a small portion of the user base. Doesn't work for the majority of other users, which is why it doesn't get any love. If the majority of KDE users don't understand it, then how can we expect new users coming from Windows or Mac to understand it? - We can't, b/c it's not sufficiently differentiated from virtual desktops for most people to understand the value. IMO, it should either be ripped out completely, moved into an "advanced" control panel or even it's own thing all together, or significantly enhanced. I would argue that if you keep it, it should merge it (from the users perspective in the UI) with virtual desktops, with a one-click setting to "sync all virtual desktops" so that it functions just like virtual desktops. (In which case, under the covers it would just be normal virtual desktops, but as soon as you want to customise one of the "virtual desktops" it's treated like an activity - but from the user UI perspective, there is no difference between Virtual Desktops and Activities.)

Significantly enhanced would mean more differentiation via deeper integration into applications, starting with the KDE apps. Things like remembering on a per activity, per application basis:
    • Recently opened files
    • The last directory you browsed in that activity when saving or opening files
    • Different application settings per activity
    • Remembering and restoring window layouts and open applications on a per activity basis, etc.

Maybe it does some of these things now, but last I used activities a couple of years ago it did not.
    Last edited by sheldonl; 29 November 2021, 10:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BangoMopar
    replied
    Originally posted by avem View Post

Good luck reproducing the XFCE panel look from the bug report.

"Available today" yet no screenshot will be provided.

Sorry, last time I tried KDE Neon half a year ago most of the things weren't available which most likely means you're lying.
    You sir, are a real P.O.S.

Leave a comment:

• BangoMopar
    replied
    Originally posted by sheldonl View Post

I think the issue may be as much that the workflow in KDE 3.5 for how you used the desktop had gotten pretty polished and consistent. Even in plasma 5, there are things - like activities - that don't really fully fit in. Good concept, but I think it needs deeper integration with other apps to really make it work - beyond just what plasmoids, widgets and panels you have configured.
    Activities fit my use case perfectly. Work apps / wallpaper / widgets on the Work Activity, Steam and Gaming stuff on Gaming, Multimedia (Plex, Elisa, qBitorrent etc) on it's activity. I think Activities get no love simply because people don't understand the difference between virtual desktops and activities. Of course, back when KDE came with pre-made templates it was an easier concept to understand.

Leave a comment:

• BangoMopar
    replied
    Originally posted by aht0 View Post
    About a fucking time for more intensive bug fixing.
    ... Says the torch-carrying lynch mob that likely contributes nothing...

Leave a comment:

• avem
    replied
    Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Every single thing requested in that bug report is available today with System Monitor and Weather applets. Yes, when added to a panel.
    Good luck reproducing the XFCE panel look from the bug report.

"Available today" yet no screenshot will be provided.

Sorry, last time I tried KDE Neon half a year ago most of the things weren't available which most likely means you're lying.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Every single thing requested in that bug report is available today with System Monitor and Weather applets. Yes, when added to a panel.
    You just proved his point; for all the great things you do, when you don't want to you guys just won't listen/read.
    The guy has made the legit complaint that once you moved on to widgets, you forgot they must be usable in the panel, too. Having to keep revealing the desktop to look at widgets is disruptive to any workflow. And to that you reply by referring him to System Monitor which not even a widget.
    And that excuse that you don\t handle new widget requests because of lack of resources is just lame. You guys had plenty of time to rewrite the many useful resource monitoring widgets into one, big unusable widget.

You should seriously consider a text only/overview/summary mode or something like that for widgets to make them usable in the panel. And for widgets that don't support that (there are practical reasons), just remove the possibility to put them in the panel in the first place. The panel is always there, you just can't beat having all the info at a glance.

Edit: showing load for 12+ individual cores at once in the system tray is a PITA, I'll give you that.
    Last edited by bug77; 29 November 2021, 11:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Turbine
    replied
    KDE is the only Desktop Environment which has consistently crashed during the installation throughout the years.

Leave a comment:

• Gk64
    replied
    Flickering panel when cahnging settings...always happened to me and its the only bug that i can remember on this list...but kwrite replacement?! Is this a bug???

Leave a comment:

• sophisticles
    replied
    Originally posted by lacek View Post
    I don't want to trigger anyone, but I think that KDE is the objectively best DE. Also Gnome and Cinnamon are really really bad.
    “If that’s your best, your best won’t do.” ~ Twisted Sister

Leave a comment:

• lacek
    replied
    I don't want to trigger anyone, but I think that KDE is the objectively best DE. Also Gnome and Cinnamon are really really bad.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X