Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Squashes Many "Annoying" Bugs As It Works To Improve The Desktop's Reliability.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
    About a fucking time for more intensive bug fixing.
    ... Says the torch-carrying lynch mob that likely contributes nothing...

Comment

Originally posted by sheldonl View Post

I think the issue may be as much that the workflow in KDE 3.5 for how you used the desktop had gotten pretty polished and consistent. Even in plasma 5, there are things - like activities - that don't really fully fit in. Good concept, but I think it needs deeper integration with other apps to really make it work - beyond just what plasmoids, widgets and panels you have configured.
      Activities fit my use case perfectly. Work apps / wallpaper / widgets on the Work Activity, Steam and Gaming stuff on Gaming, Multimedia (Plex, Elisa, qBitorrent etc) on it's activity. I think Activities get no love simply because people don't understand the difference between virtual desktops and activities. Of course, back when KDE came with pre-made templates it was an easier concept to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post

Good luck reproducing the XFCE panel look from the bug report.

"Available today" yet no screenshot will be provided.

Sorry, last time I tried KDE Neon half a year ago most of the things weren't available which most likely means you're lying.
        You sir, are a real P.O.S.

Comment

Originally posted by BangoMopar View Post

Activities fit my use case perfectly. Work apps / wallpaper / widgets on the Work Activity, Steam and Gaming stuff on Gaming, Multimedia (Plex, Elisa, qBitorrent etc) on it's activity. I think Activities get no love simply because people don't understand the difference between virtual desktops and activities. Of course, back when KDE came with pre-made templates it was an easier concept to understand.
          Works for a small portion of the user base. Doesn't work for the majority of other users, which is why it doesn't get any love. If the majority of KDE users don't understand it, then how can we expect new users coming from Windows or Mac to understand it? - We can't, b/c it's not sufficiently differentiated from virtual desktops for most people to understand the value. IMO, it should either be ripped out completely, moved into an "advanced" control panel or even it's own thing all together, or significantly enhanced. I would argue that if you keep it, it should merge it (from the users perspective in the UI) with virtual desktops, with a one-click setting to "sync all virtual desktops" so that it functions just like virtual desktops. (In which case, under the covers it would just be normal virtual desktops, but as soon as you want to customise one of the "virtual desktops" it's treated like an activity - but from the user UI perspective, there is no difference between Virtual Desktops and Activities.)

Significantly enhanced would mean more differentiation via deeper integration into applications, starting with the KDE apps. Things like remembering on a per activity, per application basis:
          • Recently opened files
          • The last directory you browsed in that activity when saving or opening files
          • Different application settings per activity
          • Remembering and restoring window layouts and open applications on a per activity basis, etc.

Maybe it does some of these things now, but last I used activities a couple of years ago it did not.
          Last edited by sheldonl; 29 November 2021, 10:17 AM.

Comment

You sir, are a real P.O.S.
            An amazing response!

Twice now I've requested proofs that the taskbar in KDE5 can hold plasmoids the way XFCE does and offers the same level of customizability and instead of doing that you're insulting me?

No wonder Linux and the Linux community remain an absolute shithole in the eyes of many unrelated people.

Luckily your insults show who you really are, not that I'm wrong.

Comment

Good luck reproducing the XFCE panel look from the bug report.

"Available today" yet no screenshot will be provided.

Sorry, last time I tried KDE Neon half a year ago most of the things weren't available which most likely means you're lying.
              Does this qualify for you to call yourself a liar? Then with a straight face please do so here in this thread, for all to see, just like you do call others a liar so easily.

And for CPU/MEM/etc-monitors, just pick your poison, there are several.

Comment

An amazing response!

Twice now I've requested proofs that the taskbar in KDE5 can hold plasmoids the way XFCE does and offers the same level of customizability and instead of doing that you're insulting me?

No wonder Linux and the Linux community remain an absolute shithole in the eyes of many unrelated people.

If you love XFCE so much, I'm not sure why you're even here. However some here have attempted to illustrate what you're DEMANDING KDE provide you in the way that you want, if for no other reason than to not be called a lair...

Comment

... Says the torch-carrying lynch mob that likely contributes nothing...
                  Think what you like. Negative feedback is a contribution, by the way. Plasma5 has got 10k+ open bugs across the suite right now. And 10 000 is simply upper hard limit bugzilla's search engine gave out results to. Maybe time to fix them, instead of adding features..?

I like Plasma5, don't get me wrong. But using it is not seamless and pleasant operation by far. Doing something in it leads you to some crash/bug sooner rather than later, always.
                  Last edited by aht0; 29 November 2021, 04:31 PM.

Comment

An amazing response!

Quite puzzling, right? You request proof, people don't rush to oblige. Let me guess: you're not having an easy life, are you?

As I have said above, you have a point about widgets and usability, but the way you convey it is as bad as it gets.

Comment

bug77
                      Insults should not be tolerated.
                      That said avem hardly misses an opportunity to be unpleasant.

By the way ngraham didn't lie, nor he refused to listen.
                      More than one instance of the System Monitor applet can be added to the taskbar to show different info.
                      I'd argue that some of those configurations are quite broken, but that can be fixed.
                      If one doesn't like the applets provided by default they can try a couple of third party ones, like:Also, not providing a screenshot doesn't "most likely mean" anything.
                      ​​​Even if he gave you the screenshot, what guarantee would you have that it would work on your machine as well?
                      I mean, it's Linux, you can never be sure

Comment

Working...
                      X