Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Squashes Many "Annoying" Bugs As It Works To Improve The Desktop's Reliability.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aht0
    replied
    About a fucking time for more intensive bug fixing.

Leave a comment:

• Nth_man
    replied
    Originally posted by Yeayo guy View Post

> [...] of KDE 3.5.
    I was a KDE 3.5 user, and Plasma 5 has better usability than the old KDE 3.5
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
    -- Peter de Vries
    Last edited by Nth_man; 28 November 2021, 04:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pereiraalex
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    I have a simple solution: Could a simple mode be added to Kate and KWrite be depreciated? A mode that looks like KWrite until the user ticks a box, hits F10, or launches with --view=advanced\simple?
    That is exactly what they are, just instead of loading Kate to run simple mode, you run kwrite.

Better explanation,since I am on mobile: https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comment...mment/dpssvzr/

Leave a comment:

• avem
    replied

Plasmoids came with KDE 4.
    Can you actually read? "Oh, wait, most of them do not work at all in the taskbar (look atrocious and are not customizable at all)."

Leave a comment:

• Beherit
    replied
    This is cool. I can actually use Wayland for more than 15 min now without plasma crashing down on me.

Leave a comment:

• kylew77
    replied
    Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

While Kwrite is more sophisticated than other basic text editors, it still have a long way to be at the same level of Kate. For example, plugins. The one I love the most is the built in terminal. In my use, it is great for executing terminal commands from "how-to" texts.
    Love the built in Konsole. Write C/C++ program. Type gcc or g++ compile then ./a.out, run the program, rinse wash repeat. Great development environment.

Leave a comment:

• Yeayo guy
    replied
    Originally posted by avem View Post

Oh, yeah? Tell me how well Plasmoids work in the taskbar. Oh, wait, most of them do not work at all (look atrocious and are not customizable at all).
    Plasmoids came with KDE 4.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    I have a simple solution: Could a simple mode be added to Kate and KWrite be depreciated? A mode that looks like KWrite until the user ticks a box, hits F10, or launches with --view=advanced\simple?

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Everyone that is tech savvy, maybe

Everyone else, definitely not.

And that tech savvy is probably <1% of the population. None of my non tech savvy friends (and even some tech savvy ones) that run windows have even heard of notepad++.
    I'd be surprised if someone moderately tech savvy hasn't heard of it due to how often I see it mentioned in tutorials. Especially in tutorials before 2018 due to the Notepad line break crap. It's amazing how many things that broke. But, IMHO, Notepad++ could be replaced with any "better" text editor in regards to not tech savvy people people hearing about it or using it. I just used it because it's the one I learned about first.

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Probably true, but in the past I installed a lot of (cough) pirated (cough) windows versions and quite a few of them came bundled with Notepad++. I just didn't like it because by default it has a too small font (and I use QtCreator anyway).
    I don't like the default setup either. FWIW, I tweak the default Kate setup because it's too small on my screen. With my setup 200% scaling is a hair too small and 225% a hair too big so I go with 200% and bump up the fonts a point or three depending on context...Windows is the opposite -- 225% and I lower/raise fonts as necessary. There's just something about Kate that, for me, does just about everything I need to do in a general purpose text editor. Anyone who has had to open a bashrc, something under /etc, an INI or CFG, a PKGBUILD, or edited anything that wasn't a TXT file really appreciates all the extra features found in Kate, ++, and other more advanced editors. For actual programming I'd pick a programming editor like QtCreator or PyCharm or your favorite IDE and tailor that to my project's needs.

Leave a comment:

• avem
    replied

I was a KDE 3.5 user, and Plasma 5 has better usability than the old KDE 3.5
    Oh, yeah? Tell me how well Plasmoids work in the taskbar. Oh, wait, most of them do not work at all (look atrocious and are not customizable at all).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X