Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Squashes Many "Annoying" Bugs As It Works To Improve The Desktop's Reliability.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M@GOid
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    Isn't Kate same as KWrite but with tabs support?
    While Kwrite is more sophisticated than other basic text editors, it still have a long way to be at the same level of Kate. For example, plugins. The one I love the most is the built in terminal. In my use, it is great for executing terminal commands from "how-to" texts.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Everyone that is tech savvy, maybe

Everyone else, definitely not.

And that tech savvy is probably <1% of the population. None of my non tech savvy friends (and even some tech savvy ones) that run windows have even heard of notepad++.
    Probably true, but in the past I installed a lot of (cough) pirated (cough) windows versions and quite a few of them came bundled with Notepad++. I just didn't like it because by default it has a too small font (and I use QtCreator anyway).

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

There's a simple reason everyone on Windows installs Notepad++ and it's the same reason we don't use Notepad, Wordpad, or KWrite -- it's because the second you need to do more than simple text editing you realize that all those programs suck and that you need something like Notepad++ or Kate to be productive.
    Everyone that is tech savvy, maybe

Everyone else, definitely not.

And that tech savvy is probably <1% of the population. None of my non tech savvy friends (and even some tech savvy ones) that run windows have even heard of notepad++.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    Really? Well fuck me that sucks. Y'all just added a new post-install tweak -- replace KWrite with Kate.
    Isn't Kate same as KWrite but with tabs support?

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Kate has been replaced with KWrite in the default set of favorite apps, since it’s a bit more user-friendly and less programmer-centric (me: Nate Graham, Plasma 5.24)
    Really? Well fuck me that sucks. Y'all just added a new post-install tweak -- replace KWrite with Kate.

There's a simple reason everyone on Windows installs Notepad++ and it's the same reason we don't use Notepad, Wordpad, or KWrite -- it's because the second you need to do more than simple text editing you realize that all those programs suck and that you need something like Notepad++ or Kate to be productive.

I'd add Gedit to that list but I haven't been able to be productive with Gedit since the GNOME2 days. The Gedit transition from GTK 2 to 3 was too much for me to handle. True story: the Debian Sid update that changed Gedit from GTK2 to 3 is literally the month I switched from Debian to Arch and started desktop and window manager hopping over to KDE...nearly a decade ago. For a little bit I settled on XFCE+KWin until XFCE went an updated to GTK3. Anyhoo, needless to say I have strong feelings about messing with the default text editor. I think a lot of us geeks have hangups on the default text editor.

Vi rules, Emacs sucks, Nano is easy so it's default
    **ducks, covers, and runs**

Leave a comment:

• ferry
    replied
    Originally posted by lucrus View Post
    I'm still waiting for the day when KDE will be again at the usability level of KDE 3.5.
    That day has long happened.

Seems you missed the sun rise. Maybe time to open the curtains?

Leave a comment:

• Yeayo guy
    replied
    Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
    - We have 1000 bugs

- We fix 10 of them

- 990 bugs remain

- We add 3 new features

- We have 1200 bugs remain
    True for all available desktop enviroments

Leave a comment:

• Yeayo guy
    replied
    Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
    There are 3 certain things.

Death, taxes and KDE non-stop fixing bugs.

Still a plus.
    Death, taxes and [put the desktop that you want, cause all of them are software] non-stop fixing bugs

Leave a comment:

• Yeayo guy
    replied
    Originally posted by lucrus View Post
    I'm still waiting for the day when KDE will be again at the usability level of KDE 3.5.
    I was a KDE 3.5 user, and Plasma 5 has better usability than the old KDE 3.5

Leave a comment:

• mirmirmir
    replied
    - We have 1000 bugs

- We fix 10 of them

- 990 bugs remain

- We add 3 new features

- We have 1200 bugs remain

Leave a comment:

Working...
X