Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 7.0 Code Freeze To Begin In Early December

Phoronix: Wine 7.0 Code Freeze To Begin In Early December

As expected when writing about Wine 6.22 yesterday that the annual stable release dance was likely upon us, plans were laid out today for that Wine 7.0 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And yet Ubuntu doesn't have even WINE 6 in its repository.
    It's like they intentionally want the gaming to be as bad experience as possible.
    I bet that the next Ubuntu version version will come with gaming related packages as old as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      And yet Ubuntu doesn't have even WINE 6 in its repository.
      It's like they intentionally want the gaming to be as bad experience as possible.
      I bet that the next Ubuntu version version will come with gaming related packages as old as possible.
      Well, if you want to use wine for gaming, then in Lutris you can simply download a much newer wine which also has gaming related patches (like proton). Vanilla wine doesn't have patches like Esync for example.
      But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if 22.04 LTS still ships Wine 5.0.3. I wonder if it's because they simply froze all the remaining i386 packages or something.. I think I heard somewhere about this intention

Comment

Too bad Wine 7 will arrive without the wayland patches from Collabora, I think wayland wine could give some benefits for proton games and gamescope (and other compositors). Hopefully they will make it to Wine 8

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
          But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if 22.04 LTS still ships Wine 5.0.3.
          LTS versions (whether from Canonical, or RedHat, or ...) are good for many things, but including the latest/greatest package versions is rarely one of them (and if the package versions are recent, they will not be recent soon enough). If you need (want) the latest/greatest package version on an LTS version of a distro, you should not be unafraid of the possibility of needing to either build the newer package for themselves, or trying to find someone who has (or will) do it for you during the lifecycle of that LTS distro (after which you get to start all over again with some new(er) LTS version). Sometimes switching to a leading edge or rolling distro is the best path.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
            and if the package versions are recent, they will not be recent soon enough
            Yeah, but Wine 5.0 was released almost 2 years ago(!) (5.0.3 is just a bugfix release for 5.0). Wine 6.0 was released almost a year ago, but for some odd reason, the latest non-lts release, 21.10, still ships 5.0.3. BTW, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS already shipped with Wine 5.0, which was released about 3 months earlier. As you can see in the case of Ubuntu's Wine package, this has nothing to do with the package being too recent. I suspect it's Canonicall simply neglecting the remaining i386 packages. Remember when it wanted to completely get rid of all i386 packages?
            Idk, maybe it will surprise and update to Wine 7.0 in 22.04 LTS, but I'm not holding my breath.
            Last edited by user1; 20 November 2021, 03:24 PM.

Comment

I was never able to get the Wine version in Ubuntu Software Center working for me on my Ubuntu installs. I always had to do a manual install myself from somewhere else. I honestly surprised Ubuntu keeps outdated versions of stuff in the Software Center like wine.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

LTS versions (whether from Canonical, or RedHat, or ...) are good for many things, but including the latest/greatest package versions is rarely one of them (and if the package versions are recent, they will not be recent soon enough). If you need (want) the latest/greatest package version on an LTS version of a distro, you should not be unafraid of the possibility of needing to either build the newer package for themselves, or trying to find someone who has (or will) do it for you during the lifecycle of that LTS distro (after which you get to start all over again with some new(er) LTS version). Sometimes switching to a leading edge or rolling distro is the best path.
                Admittedly I don't use wine for much other than an old B2Spice circuit simulator gui and a few related utilities. But they always come up and run just fine under Fedora's stock wine rpm -- currently version 6.21 under FC-34.
                Last edited by pipe13; 20 November 2021, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by furtadopires View Post
                  I think wayland wine could give some benefits for proton games and gamescope (and other compositors).
                  I listen same thing about wayland for many years but in reality

without forget practically non exitence of native wayland games

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post

I listen same thing about wayland for many years but in reality

without forget practically non exitence of native wayland games

If a native game uses SDL, you actually can run it natively on Wayland via SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland. It still has some rough edges, but I already run 2 native games like this.

Comment

Working...
                    X