No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.24 Adds An Overview Effect Inspired By GNOME's Activities Overview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.15.2 is latest non-commercial version, so they cannot add 5.15.3 into distribution

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post
      5.15.2 is latest non-commercial version, so they cannot add 5.15.3 into distribution
      As I just wrote, anyone can go to https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=qt5 and look for 5.15.2, 5.15.3 or 5.15.6. For example, they can apply bug fixes from Qt5PatchCollection (knowing that too many times software bugfixes cause bugs, untranslated strings, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        There is a genuine problem with KRunner and it has little to do with SSD or HDD. It's slow to activate and if you're not really slow to type, it will miss your first few letters.
        Indeed it should appear instantly when pressing a button. Though evoking it for the first time also has a delay with NVMe device and fast CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

As I just wrote, anyone can go to https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=qt5 and look for 5.15.2, 5.15.3 or 5.15.6. For example, they can apply bug fixes from Qt5PatchCollection (knowing that too many times software bugfixes cause bugs, untranslated strings, etc.).
          Distribution still maintain/update QT 5.15.2 , they just don't increase version number.
          Debian/Ubuntu pick some backports. openSUSE apply KDE QT5Patch collection, same with Fedora and probably other distros.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

I mean the animation that presents all the open windows and the virtual desktops.
            You mean the apps grid. That comes straight from a mobile device and just sucks. Btw MacOS has the same thing, called Launchpad, and it sucks too.
            Ah ok. In that case the overview isn't too bad. Yes, I actually said something nice about GNOME. I think MacOS ditched Launchpad though. Either way, though I have a couple of Apple machines (sacrilege!), I never use it.

Personally I don't mind the new menu, but it's absolutely fine to prefer the old one.

You can easily install it:
            https://www.debugpoint.com/2021/02/l...e-plasma-5-21/
            Yes, I know, I'm using it here on Fedora. Different link but as long as it does the job, that doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              Indeed it should appear instantly when pressing a button. Though evoking it for the first time also has a delay with NVMe device and fast CPU.
              Oh yeah. 6600k and 970 EVO over here and it can easily miss 5-6 letters (which is usually all I need to type). And I'm not a particularly fast typist.

Comment

Lots of kde fanboy crying

Comment

Originally posted by DKJones View Post
                  I think MacOS ditched Launchpad though. Either way, though I have a couple of Apple machines (sacrilege!), I never use it.
                  Nope, it's still there in Big Sur, useless as always

Comment

Figured out my problems with the main stream (KDE, Gnome) Linux DEs. IMHO;
                    i) Too much; Is it an app launcher, activities viewer, or an excel wanna be i.e. lots of features no one uses?
                    ii) Lack of finesse; am still not sold on the overall look.

Comment

How similar is this feature to Gnome's Activities view? Can you also display all running windows and move them around screens and workspaces like you can do in Gnome?

Comment

Working...
                      X