• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hans Bull View Post
    Why imitate Gnome UI disasters?
    Great question.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
      skeevy420

That said I also think that nobody ever disputed that Gnome's overview is awesome.
      It was about time that Kde copied it. Long overdue, actually.
      If by "overview" you mean the way GNOME vomits icons all over the screen, it's a terrible, terrible design decision. With or without the "move mouse to the top of the screen to display," nonsense.

That said, the new Application Menu in recent versions of KDE isn't great, either. Legacy Kickoff FTW.

Comment

Originally posted by DKJones View Post

If by "overview" you mean the way GNOME vomits icons all over the screen, it's a terrible, terrible design decision. With or without the "move mouse to the top of the screen to display," nonsense.

That said, the new Application Menu in recent versions of KDE isn't great, either. Legacy Kickoff FTW.
        I mean the animation that presents all the open windows and the virtual desktops.
        You mean the apps grid. That comes straight from a mobile device and just sucks. Btw MacOS has the same thing, called Launchpad, and it sucks too.

Personally I don't mind the new menu, but it's absolutely fine to prefer the old one.
        You can easily install it:
        This quick guide explains the steps to enable Legacy Kickoff Menu in KDE Plasma 5.21. KDE Plasma 5.21 was recently released with many new features and improvements across the desktop. One of the important change is the redesigned application launcher. The application launcher is completely revamped from its earlier iterations. The new application launcher has...

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

overview came on gnome in 2011, same year mac got similar feature.

of you ask me, development of gnome is open (anyone can see) but take longer to implement. Just like android 12 has quick power control which is similar to not yet implemented mockup on gnome. The concept itself already exist on gnome before android 12. But android got it implemented first.

Also having top bar doesn't make gnome copy macos. You know CSD, gnome has it wayy before mac
          Exposé was first previewed on June 23, 2003, at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference as a feature of the then forthcoming Mac OS X 10.3 Panther.
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_Control_(macOS)

In macOS, AppKit applications use client-side decoration when using the NSWindow widget.

Availability: macOS 10.0+

On March 24, 2001, Apple released Mac OS X 10.0 (internally codenamed Cheetah).

Comment

Originally posted by fhek789 View Post

It does open pretty fast!
            On HDD? On the first time?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

On HDD? On the first time?
              Yeah, on the first time it open pretty fast. I'm on a SSD but I don't think this matters really

Comment

Originally posted by fhek789 View Post

Yeah, on the first time it open pretty fast. I'm on a SSD but I don't think this matters really
                Yes it does matter. Plasma is rather slow at times on HDD (particularly KRunner which takes like 10 seconds to open so I have to wait that long when I type on the desktop to search...).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  It's not an "effect inspired by Gnome", as Nate explains, it's almost half the Gnome shell implemented as an effect in Plasma! If that's not a testament to the power of Plasma, I don't know what is.
                  In fact GNOME Shell itself is a plugin for the Mutter compositor!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                    I like it, but as is with everything, if it's not easy to setup, I don't care. make it look nice out of box when I enable it and all will be good.
                    There is no setup; it's an on-by-default thing.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                      Yes it does matter. Plasma is rather slow at times on HDD (particularly KRunner which takes like 10 seconds to open so I have to wait that long when I type on the desktop to search...).
                      Then don't use HDDs as system drive? Even eMMC in my 200€ notebook smokes any HDD when it comes to system responsiveness...

Comment

Working...
                      X