KDE Lands More Plasma Wayland Fixes, Other Enhancements For Plasma 5.24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lorn10 View Post
    Just for reference, - regarding KDE and X11 it may bring a noticeable performance and stability improvement to try out EGL instead of GLX. This can be achieved through the "KWIN_OPENGL_INTERFACE=EGL" or the "KWIN_COMPOSE=O2ES" environment variable.

The first one just switches GLX to EGL, while the other one changes the entire compositing to OpenGL ES 2.0. This is especially for older and weaker hardware recommended but it may limit some graphical effects of some plasma themes. More information can be found here: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=442386
    I wonder if this could help with the problem I have: whenever I visit a web page with a small animation, CPU goes to 30% usage and fans start spining, making a lot of noise. This happens even when I visit a web page and the browser has the spinner in the tab while the web is loading.

It's an Dell XPS 13 with an Intel Core i7 7th generation, so it's an iGPU. I'm using Ubuntu 21.10 with a Xanmod kernel, but it's been happening since always. I'm also using the Oibaf PPA, just in case it helps, but it doesn't. I'm also using Brave, but it happens also with Chrome.

Could you please load this URL and tell me if your CPU goes high in our system? https://fontawesome.com/v4.7/examples/#animated

Thanks!

Font Awesome, the iconic font and CSS framework

Comment

Originally posted by lorn10 View Post
      Just for reference, - regarding KDE and X11 it may bring a noticeable performance and stability improvement to try out EGL instead of GLX. This can be achieved through the "KWIN_OPENGL_INTERFACE=EGL" or the "KWIN_COMPOSE=O2ES" environment variable.

The first one just switches GLX to EGL, while the other one changes the entire compositing to OpenGL ES 2.0. This is especially for older and weaker hardware recommended but it may limit some graphical effects of some plasma themes. More information can be found here: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=442386
      How can you check what KWin is using currently, GLX or EGL?

And it's time for KWin to switch to Vulkan / WSI and leave OpenGL / EGL and their bugs behind altogether.
      Last edited by shmerl; 14 November 2021, 03:20 AM.

Comment

I tried using Plasma in Wayland session mode in 5.23.3 since it got that adaptive sync fix in it, but it caused a hang when the monitor went to sleep, so I'm back to X11 for now. I suspect it's another OpenGL or EGL mess.

I'll see if 5.23.4 is any better and if not will file a bug.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          I tried using Plasma in Wayland session mode in 5.23.3 since it got that adaptive sync fix in it, but it caused a hang when the monitor went to sleep, so I'm back to X11 for now. I suspect it's another OpenGL or EGL mess.

I'll see if 5.23.4 is any better and if not will file a bug.
          Did you report the bug?

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

Did you report the bug?
            Already explained above.

Comment

Already explained above.
              Well, explaining in a forum, is not a official bug report to KDE developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

Well, explaining in a forum, is not a official bug report to KDE developers.
                You missed the point, please re-read my post.

Comment

You missed the point, please re-read my post.
                  I can't be sure, if I am really missing the point or do only have a different opinion than you, if you don't want to explain yourself...

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post

+1000
                    I will likely switch to Wayland with that (just hope other software, like SMPlayer, won't be too buggy).
                    I'm using smplayer (flatpak version) with Plasma 5.23.3 wayland and it works 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by Yeayo guy View Post

I'm using smplayer (flatpak version) with Plasma 5.23.3 wayland and it works 100%.
                      Great ! I'm using the Gentoo ebuild, but I may switch to Flatpak if necessary (I already installed several such packages, and it works well, though this is usually for software not packaged in Gentoo at all).

Comment

Working...
                      X