• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
    How to find those files
    Did you read what I linked? Cause it's written right there:
    Code:
    The client and client-rt module has a configuration template file located in /usr/share/pipewire/client.conf and /usr/share/pipewire/client-rt. You can copy and edit the file to /etc/pipewire/ or ~/.config/pipewire/client.conf and ~/.config/pipewire/client-rt.conf.
    and how to use them to make pipewire to offer 5.1 output instead of stereo.
    That's also written right there:
    Code:
    Upmixing is not enabled by default. You can set channel.upmix to true to enable a simple upmixing algorithm.
    Then just set 5.1 or 7.1 or whatever your setup is as output with pavucontrol or your favorite mixer app. There's really no difference to using pulseaudio and the second link I gave you helps to copy your surround configuration from pulseaudio to pipewire line by line.

google just turns up pages of people with the same issue and no solutions.
    Are we using different google? As I googled these links in no time... Maybe don't filter your google output to forums only as that's not how to find documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by V10lator View Post
      Did you read what I linked? Cause it's written right there:
      After reading it a third time, I see the reason those files dont exist is because you have to create them.
      Wow, even ALSA has a UI, even if it is old school terminal style.
      Luckily I guessed they were off spec json files and the # meant it was commented or my next comment would likely be it didn't work.

​​​​​​
      Originally posted by V10lator View Post

That's also written right there:
      Code:
      Upmixing is not enabled by default. You can set channel.upmix to true to enable a simple upmixing algorithm.
      Then just set 5.1 or 7.1 or whatever your setup is as output with pavucontrol or your favorite mixer app. There's really no difference to using pulseaudio and the second link
      Except that isn't in the documentation - that upmixing must be enabled to enable 5.1/7.1 out.
      Can you really not have 5.1 out without up mixing enabled?

Like I said, a long way to go in both UI and documention, and that was an epic waste of both our time for something that should be on by default, and definitely should not require shuffling files around the filesystem and then editing with a text editor.

Subwoofer still doesn't work tho (no sound out of it in test), does it need "low frequencies" enabling by editing with a text editor to?
      Last edited by mSparks; 13 November 2021, 09:58 AM.

Comment

I get the reason for the switch, and agree its long term a good idea.
        Just saying that IF your audio already worked fine (like mine did before the switch), then changing to something new can only break things (which also happened to me), and right now there is no meaningful documentation on how to use or fix it.

Im sure pipewire will end up great, but right now it seems to be one step forward two steps back.

Also, given how much it seems is still left to do with UI and documentation thats probably not going to change any time soon.
        Having had good luck with the jack-dbus stuff and not minding manually patching in, I share the same feelings. I use a Scarlett 2i2 2nd gen as my sound device.

Linux has always handled this sound device better than Windows 10.
        Last edited by creative; 13 November 2021, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
          Linux has always handled this sound device better than Windows 10.
          Reminds me of how, a couple of days ago, I helped my brother set up an additional display and I was shocked at how weak the Windows 10 + nVidia driver experience is for multi-monitor desktops compared to what I've grown used to with Linux + nVidia.

(eg. Seemingly randomly chosen settings would have the side-effect of rolling the dice on a 50% chance of resetting the monitor layout to one long row, nVidia Control Panel on Windows would cause the desktop to spaz out for three to five times as long as nvidia-settings on Linux when applying a change to various advanced settings, overscan compensation that lacks MetaModes's ViewPortOut's ability to compensate for asymmetric overscan regions, etc.)
          Last edited by ssokolow; 13 November 2021, 06:18 PM.

Comment

After reading it a third time, I see the reason those files dont exist is because you have to create them.
            Wow, even ALSA has a UI, even if it is old school terminal style.
            Luckily I guessed they were off spec json files and the # meant it was commented or my next comment would likely be it didn't work.

​​​​​​

Except that isn't in the documentation - that upmixing must be enabled to enable 5.1/7.1 out.
            Can you really not have 5.1 out without up mixing enabled?

Like I said, a long way to go in both UI and documention, and that was an epic waste of both our time for something that should be on by default, and definitely should not require shuffling files around the filesystem and then editing with a text editor.

Subwoofer still doesn't work tho (no sound out of it in test), does it need "low frequencies" enabling by editing with a text editor to?
            I'm actually confused, how are you having all these issues? Pipewire just exposes stereo, 5.1, and 7.1 profiles to me and I select them. Is there something about your system where these profiles are not available?

Regardless, I'm assuming you'll have to turn on remixing-produce-lfe and/or remixing-consume-lfe.

And regarding the configs not being available, Pipewire is not 1.0 yet, so the configuration file contents will change between versions. It's better for Pipewire to use the package configs until you override rather than put a stateful configuration in /etc/pipewire and break your system between upgrades.

Comment

Originally posted by damentz View Post

I'm actually confused, how are you having all these issues? Pipewire just exposes stereo, 5.1, and 7.1 profiles to me and I select them. Is there something about your system where these profiles are not available?

Regardless, I'm assuming you'll have to turn on remixing-produce-lfe and/or remixing-consume-lfe.

And regarding the configs not being available, Pipewire is not 1.0 yet, so the configuration file contents will change between versions. It's better for Pipewire to use the package configs until you override rather than put a stateful configuration in /etc/pipewire and break your system between upgrades.
              Nothing particularly special, b550m motherboard for an amd 5900x processor.
              fun fact, turning upmix on enabled the options for 4, 5.1 and 7.1, turning it off didn't remove them.
              Another fun fact, changing the balance slider moves the front back slider in the opposite direction.
              Even more fun fact, changing it to 4 channel out seems to be the only way to get all 6 speakers producing sound, lose my center discrimination, gain the subwoofer.

yes, not version 1 yet, pulseaudio worked perfectly, this.... doesn't.
              Last edited by mSparks; 15 November 2021, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X