No announcement yet.

PipeWire 0.3.40 Released With Better JACK Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edit: Audio on my Linux devices has been flawless for years, save only in Firefox. I would have to do "pulseaudio -k" every few days to get sound back in Firefox. I switched to Pipewire, and it seems to work better - I've had audio in Firefox fail once in four months, and all other audio works perfectly.

So it seems like Pipewire is better than Pulseaudio, at least for me.

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    Not quite, they stand aside for years and then often come up with their own NIH solution that is worse: mir, snap, upstart.
    Mark (Shuttleworth) was angry at the open source crowd for celebrating his failures but it's his fault, he's been making serious stupid decisions.
    Agreed on Mir and Snap, but Upstart predates systemd.
    Last edited by Michael_S; 12 November 2021, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Now only if Ubuntu developers would picking up and use it by default in the next Ubuntu version instead of chasing wild goose!
      Every time a new promising technology comes up (systemd, Wayland) that solves real problems, Ubuntu prefers to stand aside for 10 years, not to contribute anything and then pick it up and use it when it's developed and polished by others.
      Maybe they want to compete with Nvidia in selfishness.
      Congratulations and many thanks to Red Hat and whoever is working on it!
      Next version will be an LTS, so zero chance they'll gamble with it. After that, who knows, potentially the LTS after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Now only if Ubuntu developers would picking up and use it by default in the next Ubuntu version instead of chasing wild goose!
        Every time a new promising technology comes up (systemd, Wayland) that solves real problems, Ubuntu prefers to stand aside for 10 years, not to contribute anything and then pick it up and use it when it's developed and polished by others.
        Maybe they want to compete with Nvidia in selfishness.
        Congratulations and many thanks to Red Hat and whoever is working on it!
        Ubuntu has Pipewire enabled and active since 20.10. Just not for everything it is capable of. With a few steps you can completely replace PulseAudio with Pipewire on Ubuntu.

Comment

During the update from 0.3.39 to 0.3.40, I was asked if I wanted to replace pipewire-media-session with wireplumber (the future default).
          I said yes: big mistake. No more video playing. Then I realized I had no output devices left.
          After a bit of tinkering and removing (config files),reverting and reinstalling pipewire, I managed to get it working again. But be cautious.

Comment

Also, Red Hat paid trolls are out, it would seem.

Comment

Oh well be a little pragmatic, Pipewire is a big step forward in audio management, if for Ubuntu it is still immature, there may also be reasons or maybe not. That's why I don't use Ubuntu. Switching from pulse to pipewire and vice versa shouldn't be too complicated.
              But don't tell me that Ubuntu only uses super stable software! I remember the famous Ubuntu webapps (also on Lts) in a perennial beta or alpha state.

Comment

I get the reason for the switch, and agree its long term a good idea.
                Just saying that IF your audio already worked fine (like mine did before the switch), then changing to something new can only break things (which also happened to me), and right now there is no meaningful documentation on how to use or fix it.

Im sure pipewire will end up great, but right now it seems to be one step forward two steps back.

Also, given how much it seems is still left to do with UI and documentation thats probably not going to change any time soon.
                Last edited by mSparks; 12 November 2021, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
                  my surround sound doesnt work anymore and there is no documentation explaining how to get it working again.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipew...ulsedaemonconf

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
                    Also, given how much it seems is still left to do with UI and documentation thats probably not going to change any time soon.
                    For UI remember all pa 5 tools are for pipewire, so for example PulseEffect5 ist pipewires default equalizer.
                    For documentation see my links above.

What exactly are you missing, except some google skills?

Comment

How to find those files, and how to use them to make pipewire to offer 5.1 output instead of stereo.

Originally posted by V10lator View Post
                      For UI remember all pa 5 tools are for pipewire, so for example PulseEffect5 ist pipewires default equalizer.
                      For documentation see my links above.

What exactly are you missing, except some google skills?
                      google just turns up pages of people with the same issue and no solutions.
                      For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

Comment

Working...
                      X