Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rav1e 0.5 Brings More Speed-Ups For This Rust AV1 Encoder

Phoronix: Rav1e 0.5 Brings More Speed-Ups For This Rust AV1 Encoder

Released this week was Rav1e 0.5 as the newest feature release for this Rust-written AV1 video encoder backed by Xiph.Org and self-proclaimed to be the world's "fastest and safest" AV1 encoder...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have given up hope for AV1. I have a blu-ray rip being re-encoded using AOM on a Ryzen 7 1700X I gave the encoder 12 threads. It has been running for over a month and still isn't done. That is at a point where I still have to lose details like fly away hairs etc. I appreciate the effort they put into creating it but AV1 is for mega companies like Google and Netflix not people. You are far better off mining crypto and building a data center to hold your movies that you are trying to re-encode to AV1.

Comment

MadeUpName you either trolling, or you haven't read any of aomenc documenation 🤔.
      On my desktop ryzen 3700x aomenc encodes at around 70fps speed.

Comment

Originally posted by dado023 View Post
        MadeUpName you either trolling, or you haven't read any of aomenc documenation 🤔.
        On my desktop ryzen 3700x aomenc encodes at around 70fps speed.
        First all, all of the AV1 documentation is shit. But I have spent days reading through it because I had such high hope for AV1. On my 3700x desktop I get just over a frame a second but only if I drop the quality to where I am putting up with banding and losing a lot of detail. Encoding for a torrent site so people can watch movies on their cell phone isn't what I am trying to do.

Comment

VP9 documentation is also shit. Hard to get predictable results. I wonder will AV1 ever be usable for me. I still generally prefer h264.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

First all, all of the AV1 documentation is shit. But I have spent days reading through it because I had such high hope for AV1. On my 3700x desktop I get just over a frame a second but only if I drop the quality to where I am putting up with banding and losing a lot of detail. Encoding for a torrent site so people can watch movies on their cell phone isn't what I am trying to do.
            What is your CPU usage while encoding? Also, are you doing 1pass or 2pass?
            There has to be something wrong with your setup somewhere.

Comment

I have given up hope for AV1. I have a blu-ray rip being re-encoded using AOM on a Ryzen 7 1700X I gave the encoder 12 threads. It has been running for over a month and still isn't done. That is at a point where I still have to lose details like fly away hairs etc. I appreciate the effort they put into creating it but AV1 is for mega companies like Google and Netflix not people. You are far better off mining crypto and building a data center to hold your movies that you are trying to re-encode to AV1.
              As much as people claim to love open video codecs, most such codecs created so far are unusable for mere mortals due to their rudimental crappy encoding tools and sheer complexity. x265 is miles better than any VP9 encoder, and hopefully x266 will be released soon to rival AV1 at which point pirates and home users can switch to it. I will for sure.

Too bad H.266 was drafted mainly for 4K/8K sources and is not that much more effective as H.264/H.265 for FullHD and lower resolutions. I've seen too many videos where x.264 beats x.265 hands down at 1080p and lower resolutions and H.266 doesn't seem to really address the issue. I want higher encoding efficiency at "normal" resolutions, not something I won't ever touch (8K TV).

Comment

drop the quality (…) banding and losing detail
                I hope you know the difference between the bitrate setting and the speed setting! In aomenc, the speed setting is confusingly called --cpu-used.

Originally posted by MadeUpName
                I gave it 12 threads
                I hope you know that that alone does nothing. You have to enable enough encoding parallelism for those threads to have anything to work with. Conventional wisdom would say at least row multithreading, then supplement with tiles until you see satisfying CPU utilisation. If you need more multithreading, use SVT-AV1, or as a last resort, GOP based multithreading with tools such as Av1an.
                Last edited by andreano; 07 November 2021, 04:40 PM.

Comment

This always makes me laugh.. "self-proclaimed to be the world's "fastest and safest" AV1 encoder", but yet it's the slowest encoder.

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post
                    As much as people claim to love open video codecs
                    Did you know that it is illegal (in all patent respecting WTO countries, i.e. most of the world, including the EU) to use H.264 on any typical Linux distribution, unless you yourself make sure to pay the obligatory 0.1 USD to MPEG LA? And H.265, of course, good luck tracking down all patent owners. The good news is that H.264 should have its patents expire in about 2023.

Originally posted by avem View Post
                    rudimental encoding tools
                    Absolutely a fair point. Aomenc is terribly hard to use right – non-experts are so to say bound to be driving in first gear on the highway. The good thing is that AV1 is in a better situation than VP9 ever was, with 3 open source encoders. I encoded some low-res clips with Rav1e on a laptop once. I can't say it was fast (I didn't even compare with x264), but it was fast and efficient enough for what I did, without any effort on my part.

Comment

Working...
                    X